Chapter 19

Some families are created in different ways, but are still in every way a family.

"Where is he?" Athena asks as she rushed into the hospital emergency waiting room where her old team stood waiting. Sara was the first to see her as the two of them wrapped each other in a tight hug, Sara crying and Athena barely holding on.

"He's still in surgery." Greg said, stepping closer towards the two of them as Athena pulled back, holding Sara's hand in hers. Greg gave Athena a sad smile before the two of them also shared a hug.

"He's going to pull through." Doc said seated on one of the chairs as Athena's gaze met his. "He's strong." she only nodded her head before finally meeting Nick's gaze. He still looked the same but only with a full grown beard.

"Athena." he said with a nod as she returned the nod.

"Nicky." The doors opened as a doctor walked towards them.

"Is he okay, doc?" Greg asks as the doctor stops before them.

"Which one of you all is his family?" he asked as Athena and Sara shared a look before Athena spoke up.

"I'm his daughter and this is his wife." she said, grabbing Sara's hand. "Is everything alright?"

"It was a difficult surgery but he pulled through. The bullet wound to his abdominal was severe. He lost a lot of blood, he's not woken up yet but-"

"But?" Athena asked as he lowered his head before meeting her gaze.

"Like I said he lost a lot of blood and the chance of him walking up is maybe 45%." he said as Sara let out a gasp, Athena tried to hold in her emotions.

"What can you do?" she asked slowly.

"There isn't anything we can do at the moment, all we can do is pray and wait." he said as Athena looked towards him before nodding her head. He walked away as Sara started to cry, sinking down on one of the chairs while Athena stood frozen in place. She blinked a few times before walking off, finding a quiet corridor before sinking to the ground, her hands in her hair as she finally let the tears flow. After a few moments she heard someone sliding down next to her,

"I'm not in the mood right now, Nicky." she said knowing it was him without even looking.

"Neither am I but you need someone right now." he said as she let out a sign looking towards him. He looks back at her not breaking first as she signs in frustration, closing her eyes and looking towards the wall in front of them.

"What happened?" she asked after a few moments.

"We were on a case, the mafia were stealing girls and selling them on the black market. We got a tip about their whereabouts so we took it. We didn't think it might be a trap. We were ambushed and Gil was shot. We couldn't get to him right away and now it might be our fault that we didn't get him to the hospital intime."

"It's not your fault, neither one of you is to blame." she said as Nicky nodded his head looking towards the wall and leaning his head backwards.

"I missed this."

"What?" she asked, not knowing if she heard him right. Nicky looked towards her as she met his gaze.

"I missed our conversations. I missed your attitude. I missed everything about you! I miss being able to call you mine!" he said as she swallowed before looking away. Nicky placed his hand on her arm making her jerk away, standing up at the same time.

"What do you want from me!" she hissed as he also stood up, the two of them now facing each other off. "You cheated on me! I thought everything was fine between us- No I thought everything was great between us! And then it all came crashing down at that bar!"