48 - The Encounters

"Wait, what?" Saki looked at Hana in surprise. "You were there that day?"

"Your brother was the one who stopped Hiro?" Susu asked Saki.

"Yeah. He was." Saki nodded, before turning to Hana once again. "But you knew my brother? You were there that day?"

"I was." Hana nodded. "I was friends with Hiro. He was absent for a couple days, so we went to check in on him at his house."

Saki and Susu listened intently.

"And he wasn't there." Hana continued. "His door was unlocked. He was nowhere to be found. We searched around, and that's when Sora found him..."

Hana paused for a moment, remembering that day. Remembering what Sora had said, shaken by what had happened.

"...trying to jump off the bridge."

~~ July 17, 2019 ~~
~ Kiken Bridge ~
~~
~

He sat on the edge of the bridge, the wind flowing through his hair. He sighed to himself, looking down at the waters below. This was a sight he hadn't seen in so long.

He still remembered the day he tried to jump.

A coward, that's what he was. He couldn't deny it. He ran away, and tried to run away forever. It was only thanks to Sora that he ended up surviving.

And now, he simply sat here again. This time not looking to jump, but simply looking to remember. To feel.

The residents of Kiken were still in shock from the sudden murder of Yanemi Giyo. He had no doubt that they would be for a while.

He had listened to the news earlier when sitting at a restaurant and watching the television. Apparently she was found with multiple stab wounds, committed by Akari Sumiko.

Her.

How fortunate that his dear old girlfriend had decided to strike then. It worked out perfectly. Hiro escaped, and the murder was successfully framed on Akari, even though that wasn't part of the plan at all.

Well, he didn't have much of a plan. He just knew he needed to end it. To finally stop being a coward.

So that was Yanemi done. Akari too. He doubted she'd ever see the light of day again, and good riddance. The final loose end was Mei. He had no doubt that she'd try to get back here, to him.

To "save" him from Yanemi.

She was just like the rest. He should've known.

He could still feel the pain from the ropes tied to wrists. That lingering pain, which no matter what he did seemed to go away.

Maybe he should go down into that water. Get a cool wash, try to ease that pain away. Just probably not through a hundred foot dive.

Hiro sighed to himself. He was almost done. With everything.

But what would he do then? Once he had freed himself...then what? He wanted to see Sora again. But after that, he had no more purpose in this world. He had no more place in this world.

Maybe then he should jump.

"Hiro. Please don't do it." A feminine voice suddenly spoke from behind him.