Chapter 30

Luke's chest heaved as he stared at her, his claws still digging into the table. The rational part of his mind was screaming at him, yelling at him to keep himself at bay. Yet a much more primal, dark part was screaming the opposite. 

His eyes were glued on her, watching the slight tremble of her hands as she held onto her wand tightly, ready to react instantly. His brows furrowed as he looked at her; she had looked so at ease and confided before, yet now he saw a hint of fear on her face. She looked like a cornered prey animal ready to pounce. 

He closed his eyes briefly, turning his head away from her as he tried to focus on breathing. He hated seeing the fear in her eyes, even if she tried to hide it so well. He had put that fear there, and he couldn't blame her. An angry wolf, especially an alpha, was no joke. 

His hand relaxed, claws dissipating away, yet he still felt the indentations they had made into her table. He clenched his fists for a moment before unfurling his hands. "I..." He spoke softly, unsure what to say, "I... uhm... I'm sorry." He opened his eyes but kept his gaze averted. "I didn't mean to..." He trailed off, glancing down at his hands. 

Sapphira sighed, letting go of her wand, as she looked at him. He looked so much smaller now. "It's alright," She said softly, reaching over and grabbing one of his hands. "You just startled me, that's all." 

He glanced up at her, looking less intimidating than before, "It's not; you're not supposed to be scared of me." 

Sapphira thought he would pull his hand away momentarily, but then he gently moved his thumb over her hand. "I'm not scared of you." She said softly. 

He let out a huff of air, "Don't..." He looked away, his hand still in his, "I saw how you looked at me, and I don't blame you." 

At that moment, Sapphira did something that would surprise even herself. Her eyes were still locked on the Alpha that sat before her, her hand still in his as she rose from her chair. She wondered how a man so big could suddenly look so small. With her right hand still holding his, she moved to stand next to him and placed her left hand on his cheek, "Look at me; you startled me, scared me for a moment. But I am not scared of you." 

Surprised by her touch and actions, Luke looked up at her; a soft smile adorned her features as she looked at him; all traces of fear were gone. His free hand snaked around her waist and pulled her into his lap as he hugged her close. 

Sapphira gasped, then chuckled softly as she hugged him back. "See, I couldn't possibly be afraid of you now..."

A smile pulled on Luke's face as he buried it into her neck, "Good..." 

When his hold on her started to soften, she pulled back slightly, meeting his gaze, "Should we?-"

"Continue our conversation?" He finished with a neutral expression on his face. "I think we should." 

Sapphira sighed, moving to get off his lap, but the arm around her waist kept her firmly in place, "Could you maybe stay here?"

She chuckled, "Would that help?" 

He nodded. 

"So..." she started, looking down at her hands, "How do we solve our problem... a  time schedule?"

She felt him move slightly, as he pulled her closer to him. "A time schedule?" He said. 

"I mean I don't know... Spend some time here, spend some time at your pack..." She sighed, "I can't exactly move my  shop, you can't move your pack..." She paused for a moment, still staring at her hands. "Do you really need me to be near you constantly?"

She looked up at him, meeting his gaze as she waited for an answer.

He sighed, "I need to be sure that you're safe..." He mumbled under his breath. 

"But I am safe." She said, still looking at him, "Can't you just... I don't know, don't you have like pack guards or something?" 

His eyebrows rose, "Pack guards?" 

"I don't know, maybe we could make a schedule were I could sleep at your place, or sometimes you at mine? Where I work my normal hours here and then maybe have a potion workshop somewhere on your pack grounds or something like that?" 

For a moment he looked like he was about to protest, but she continued, "and then when I work here, you could put one of your wolves here, so you'd know I'd be safe, use that mind link thingy." 

A smile tugged on the corners of his mouth, "Mind link thingy? You know if I were to mark you, you would have that mind link thingy  as well." 

Without thinking about it Sapphira moved her hand to her neck, "I think that topic is for another time." 

______________________________________________________

A.N.

Hi! I know I haven't updated in a while, but here is a (short)  update! I'm trying to update some of my stories on here, so hopefully I'll write some more in the future!

Also, if you like this story then leave a comment, I love reading your comments! So tell me, what do you guys think of all this?