Chapter 9

Sapphira started at the alpha in confusion at his last statement, 'Never take that potion again.' Why would he care? Why would he give a flying fuck if she took that potion again? I mean, wouldn't it be to his advantage to have the 'enemy' powerless?

She couldn't really help herself as the words left her mouth, "Why, of all people, would you care?" 

As soon as she said it, she could feel the tension rise in the room. From the corner of her eyes, Sapphira glanced at the other two wolves in the room and noted that they too seemed to feel it. 

"Why do I care?" Luke asked, anger rising with a hint of confusion, "You're asking me why I care?" He said, raising his voice and stalking even closer to her. 

Sapphira was about to reply when she heard Mason mutter something very softly, "She doesn't know..." 

Immediately she whipped her head around to face him, "What do I not know?"

Mason stared back at her for a moment, startled by her statement, "You could hear that?" 

Her brows furrowed, "Why wouldn't I? What is going on here?"  

"You don't feel it?" Luke said, a look of hurt crossing his face. Only for a split second, though, because soon his face went harsh. 

"For christ's sake!" Angelica exclaimed, "Clearly, she doesn't know, so let me tell her." She placed a hand on Sapphira's shoulder, "You and Luke-" She paused for a moment, "Are mates." 

The look on Sapphira's face morphed from annoyance to utter confusion. "What?" She said softly, her gaze falling on the strong Alpha before her. "That's not possible..." 

"Well, clearly it is," Luke said, as he grabbed her hand. Sapphira wanted to pull her hand away immediately but was startled by the sensation that she felt. It started out as a tingling, but it grew into something that she couldn't explain, but it was wonderful...

"I..." Sapphira said softly, "I don't understand..." She looked up from her hand and into the eyes of the Alpha. "What- What does that mean?"

"It means that we're mates." Luke said, staring deeply into her eyes, "and that you're my Luna." 

"Luna?" Sapphira said, startled, pulling her hand away, "I- the alpha's wife? I can't be a Luna." 

"Well, you are going to be." Mason suddenly piped up. 

Sapphira whipped her head towards him once more, giving him a look that could've sent him six feet under and got to her feet quickly. 

"Wow, careful," Luke said as all three of the wolves suddenly stood close around her, making sure they could catch her if she were to fall.

"I'm fine, " Sapphira said, eyeing them carefully, as her eyes turned a brighter shade of orange, "But I think that I've got to go... I- I need to-" 

"No," Luke cut her off, the word hanging between them as her eyes met his, "You're staying. Mason, make sure my room is ready for her." 

In response, Mason simply nodded and walked out of the room, not uttering a single word. 

Sapphira's eyes widened, "Excuse me?" Her voice rose every so slightly, "You expect me, after being mauled by a monster, awakened by a way to strong potionand learning that I'm apparently mated to a species that despises me that I stay here?" She paused for a moment, eyes blazing, "Not to mention that I'm covered in a combination of sweat, dirt, my blood, that monsters blood, and it's damned fur!" By the end of it her voice had risen to full on yelling, her eyes glowing brightly. 

"Silence!" Luke suddenly bellowed, clearly not amused by her outburst. The word was strengthened by the gravel of a growl in his voice as he started looking a little less friendly. "You're my mate and you'll do as I say." He stated, trying to recompose himself. 

Sapphira scoffed and looked at him like he was insane, which to her he sounded. "No, I will not." She stated with the same level of power in her voice as his, "And I will most definitely not stay the night, thank you very much."

Suddenly the light in her eyes dimmed as she fell down, only to be caught by the strong arms of the Alpha quickly. Within a split second she was pulled tightly to him, her eyes now a dull orange as she struggled to keep them open, "What the..." She muttered as the Alpha held her in place, keeping her upright. 

It only lasted for a second, however, before her eyes got brighter again, 'That potion really was a bit off for me,' She thought as she realised in what kind of position she was. 

"You're not fine," Luke said, holding her close to him. 

Sapphira was stunned by this action of his; a moment ago, he'd been angry with her yet now he was hugging her... "Let me go," She said, softly at first, but when he didn't respond she repeated it louder. By the third time she tried to push him off, but instead of letting her go he only growled and held her tighter. 

Anger rose within Sapphira until she decided to do something she might regret later. As he held her tighter, she let her body temperature rise quickly until she was almost on fire. 

Startled by the heat Luke let go of Sapphira's body as he looked down at his burned hands. The wounds healing before his very eyes, he looked up at Sapphira, who surprisingly was still standing in the same position. "I told you to let me go." She said as she started making her way to the door once more. 

Immediately Luke's mind linked his guards; there was no way in hell he was going to let his mate get away from him. 

Sapphira didn't look back at her supposed 'mate' as she exited the room. Soon she was standing in what appeared to be the kitchen of this house. Quickly she found another door leading her to the main hall, and the front door. Relieved, Sapphira opened the door and stepped out into the fresh air of the outdoors. 

She was, however, cut short when she heard a voice from her left. "Going somewhere?"

As she turned she noticed a couple of wolves staring at her with an intense look on their faces. In the middle stood the man who talked, a man whom she hadn't seen before. He was tall and lanky, quite uncharacteristic for a werewolf, as was his blonde, almost white hair. 

He stood with his hands behind his back and a smirk on his face. "We wouldn't want that? Now, do we?" 

Sapphira didn't say anything in response to the man and simply turned around trying to get away that way. But as she did so she noticed, much to her surprise that she was surrounded.