Captain America: The First Avenger (15)

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You don't just lay on the floor of my labs for nothing, Rhiley." Howard stood over his sister. She had been there for around an hour - thinking. It gave her comfort just to stare up at the ceiling and not have to talk to anyone about her - feelings. Then her stupid brother had to walk into his own lab.

"I'm sleeping."

"You're clearly awake." Howard retorted, setting his clipboard down. "Shouldn't you be with Rogers and Carter? Doing a briefing or something?"

"I hate those things." Rhiley commented, "So I opted out of it."

"Is that even an option?"

"Rhiley." Howard, like a worried brother, said her name in a way only a concerned brother would. "What's wrong?" After a second of no response, Howard sighed before grumpily laying down next to his sister. Both now staring up at the ceiling.

"James likes me."

"Yeah, literally everyone knows that." Howard snorted, "He can't hide it very well."

"I think I like him.'

"You do."

Rhiley looked at Howard, "Did you just invalidate my own feelings?"

"I'll invalidate any of your feelings if I know they're wrong."

"Delightful." Rhiley rolled her eyes, "Tell me, Howard, why you believe I like him."

"Oh, you don't like him."

"Are you on drugs?"

Howard looks at his sister, "You're head over heels in love with that idiot."

Rhiley bolted upward. "Excuse me?"

"I said what I said." Howard leaned up, "And it's 100% accurate."

"You know, you're not always right, Howard."

"I kinda am though."

"You're very annoying."

"If I were wrong you wouldn't be this defensive." Howard stated, "I know you, Rhiley. I see how you look at that man - it's disgusting - but, he's bringing out a side of you I haven't seen since we were children."

"And what's that?"

"Carefree."

It's the kind of connection we can't explain

The conversation with her brother didn't help whatsoever. So, now Rhiley had decided to drown her feelings with alcohol. The Whip and Fiddle Pub was full of soldiers - which if Rhiley was trying to avoid anyone associated with her. It was a terrible place to be at. But it was the only place close enough to what she needed.

"Rhiley?"

"Steve." Rhiley doesn't look away from her mug.

"Is this seat taken?"

"Nope."

Steve sat down next to the woman who clearly seemed to be hostile to small talk at the moment. Hopefully, what Steve had to ask her wasn't considered small talk. "I'm putting together-"

"A team." Rhiley took a sip of her drink, "I know."

"Oh." Steve didn't exactly know how to take the conversation from there. "Well, uh-"