Captain America: The First Avenger (27)

She moved when he told her to move. Her legs felt like lead. He kept the gun aimed at the back of her head even though he was entirely in control of the situation. He could pull the trigger at any moment and that would be the end of her story.

"It should have been me," Dylan commented, "I don't know why he choose you."

Rhiley couldn't respond. He was having a one-sided conversation. He already thought his side was right anyways, no matter what Rhiley said, it wouldn't change Dylan's mind. "Then you came around and messed everything up."

She could feel the gun press on the back of her neck. He shook. Out of anger. "You don't deserve it."

Rhiley wish she didn't know what he was talking about. But she did. "Stop." His voice rang in her head and she did what he told her, coming to a sudden stop in front of a large window overlooking the snowy mountainscape. Below, frozen water.

"Rhiley!" Then there was Howard. In her earpiece, grabbing her attention every few seconds. Dylan could have pulled it out but she choose to believe he did to add to his torture. She wanted to tell Howard she was alright -- at least for now.

She stared out at the icy landscape. Not even flinching when he fired the gun and it cracked the glass window in front of her. "It was supposed to be mine!" He yelled, grabbing Rhiley by the shoulder and forcefully turning her around. She stared at the barrel of the gun. Her eyes glazed over threatening to spill. She wouldn't allow it. She wouldn't allow herself to break down in front of this man.

"Goddamit, Rhiley!" Howard shouted into the earpiece, "Just let me know you're okay."

The building shook. It threw Dylan off balance and for a split second, Rhiley was in control. Only long enough for her to twitch her finger until the pressure in her head returned. "Your friends are making quite the ruckus."

He grabbed her around her neck and kept the gun pointed at her temple. He inched in closer and hissed, "I'm taking what's mine." He stepped away and aimed the gun, this time when he fired, it ripped through Rhiley's chest, this time shattering the window behind her.

"Was that a gun? Rhiley! What the hell is going on."

Dylan chuckled. She couldn't do anything. His orders paralyzed Rhiley. She could hear both her brother's voice and the beat of her own heart in her head. "I am sorry! Rhiley! I was just afraid to lose you! I trust you! I've always trusted you! I need you to come back to me, okay? I need you to keep your promises. I can't live without you. Rhiley!"

Rhiley blinked. She felt the world around her sway. "And he said you were more powerful than I could ever be." Dylan sneered, "And yet, here you are--" He fired again, this time it ripped through her shoulder.

"Rhiley." Howard breathed, he sounded -- defeated. "Please."

He then aimed and fired. But something inside Rhiley stirred and a pulse vibrated through her as fire burst through her like a bomb that had just counted down to zero. It threw her backward and as she fell, the last thing she heard was her brother begging for her to be alright as her world went dark.

"But...you promised."