Strength

After returning the new supplies to Andromeda's cabin and the horse to its rightful owner, Wesley found himself cleaning and cooking a few of the fish he had purchased at the market earlier that day.

Valentine laid in the cot a short distance away, staring up at the ceiling and listening to the sizzling pan. Valentine didn't have the heart to tell Wesley that he preferred the taste of raw fish over cooked. Though, since there was no telling when exactly the fish had been killed, Valentine supposed it was probably for the best that Wesley was cooking it. He appreciated the effort though, even if the taste wasn't his favorite.

Val let his eyes close, exhausted from the day's events. Despite his exhaustion, he was far from sleep. There were several persistent thoughts that kept prodding for his attention, and from behind the safety of his closed eyelids, he carefully considered them all.

After a while, the cot dipped.

Valentine opened his eyes and sat up as Wesley handed him a wooden bowl of fish, fruit, and some bread. He thanked the merchant softly and began to eat.

"Are you all right?" Wesley asked, both because the man seemed quieter than usual and because he was worried about the effect his encounter with Castor was having on his mental state.

"Yes," Valentine said, looking up from the food to briefly meet Wesley's concerned blue eyes. "I was just thinking."

"What about?"

Valentine looked up again, longer this time.

"There's a war coming," he said with a sigh, resting his bowl on his lap. "A war with my father and his kingdom. And I'm going to be in the middle of it."

"You won't be alone," Wesley assured him, thinking that was what worried him.

"I know," he said softly, "but it'll be dangerous. Part of me doesn't want you to be there, but another part knows that I could never leave you behind. I need you by my side. You're the only strength I have right now, but you're also extremely vulnerable in my world."

Wesley said nothing, but he knew the words were true.

"If you come with me, you'll be surrounded by sirens day and night, whether they be friends or enemies. They'll be stronger than you, faster than you. They'll know how to fight and move in the water better than you. They'll be able to see in darker places and heal at faster rates. And they'll be able to sing to you."

Wesley felt his anxiety rising. In truth he hadn't thought that far ahead. All that mattered to him at the moment was getting Valentine healthy again. He hadn't considered what came after.

"I don't want anything to happen to you," Valentine said, defeated.

"Then teach me," Wesley said, lifting his hand and pushing back a loose strand of Valentine's long black hair. "Teach me how to breathe, and swim, and fight underwater. Teach me how to resist a siren's song."

"Wesley. . ." Valentine was reluctant.

"I lost you once, Val. I'm not losing you again. I don't care if the entire kingdom of Aurelia stands in my way, I'm not leaving your side."

"It very well might," Valentine whispered. "You're my mate, Wesley, which means you're my greatest weakness. If my father finds out what you are to me, he'll target you to get to me."

"Your father doesn't even know you're alive," Wesley countered.

"He will eventually."

"And we'll deal with that day when it comes. Together."

Valentine sighed. "You're too good for me, Wesley Roberts."

"I know," he breathed, leaning forward and pressing his lips to the siren's cheek.  As he pulled away, Valentine gripped his shirt and gently pulled him back for more. Their lips met, and Wesley gave Valentine far more than he had dared to hope for. Their food found the side table moments before Valentine's hands found Wesley's face. He framed the merchant's jaw with his palms, tucking loose curls of auburn brown hair behind his ear as he moved closer. Before Valentine realized what was happening, Wesley had guided Valentine back until he was laying down, their kiss breaking briefly only to reconnect moments later.

It was a slow, meaningful kiss that made both of their stomachs flutter. Wesley's elbows were braced on the cot, his chest pressed to Valentine's as he allowed his partial weight to rest above him. Valentine's fingers were twisted into Wesley's hair, sending soft tingles through his scalp every time they moved.

Wesley broke the kiss again, this time pulling back a little and opening his eyes to look down at the siren. Valentine exhaled contently and looked back up at him with hooded lavender eyes filled with so much admiration it made Wesley ache.

"I almost lost you today," the merchant said gently as Valentine traced his face with a feather soft touch. "I realized that I don't want to lose you again and be left wondering what could've been. I want to know now, while you're still with me."

Wesley paused and took a deep breath. "I want you like you wanted me when you offered me that deal."

A small, loving smile formed on Valentine's lips as he looked up at his mate.

"I have no objections to that."

A nervousness spread through Wesley's stomach at the words. He felt nearly paralyzed by his uncertainty, and Valentine seemed to notice.

Calmly, Valentine tucked another tuft of Wesley's hair behind his ear and asked, "Have you ever had sex with a man before?"

Valentine loved the pink tint that dusted the merchant's cheeks and ears.

"It can't be that different, can it?" he asked nervously.

Valentine didn't laugh, though he could've. The merchant was being too adorable for his own good.

"It's not," Valentine said, his fingers running along Wesley's lower lip and his eyes completely focused on their path. "And since it's your first time, I'll let you try the position you're more familiar with. Just know that once I get my strength back, it'll be my turn to be in control."

Another round of nervousness spread through him, but he swallowed it down knowing that was a battle for another day. For now, he was in control.

He was about to lean down again when Valentine stopped him.

"Hey," he said, making Wesley's full attention snap to his lavender eyes. "I love you."

He said it so matter-of-factly that it made Wesley's heart stutter. It wasn't a confession. It was a reminder. One that made the merchant feel warmer and more relaxed with the situation.

"I love you, too," Wesley replied before lowering himself and reconnecting their lips.

Wesley was unsure about a lot of things at that moment, but Valentine wasn't one of them.

----+------+----
A/N

What's a good name for an alien species and the planet they come from?

. . . Don't worry about why.

Next update Wednesday,
-Mora Montgomery