Magic

"I fucking hate bugs," Valentine grumbled as he swatted at the air around his head. They weren't that noticeable on the beach, where it was open enough for the wind to blow them away, but now that the two men were within the tropical forests, shielded by rows and rows of trees and foliage, the little buggers were making quite the appearance. 

"Be glad they aren't biting," Wesley replied with a sigh, doing his best to ignore both the bugs and Valentine. Valentine seemed even more miffed by Wesley's tolerance for the creatures. The little gnats and flies that were intent on landing on his face were never something he had to worry about when he lived in Aurelia. There were few things that could make Valentine nostalgic of his subsurface life, but bugs happened to be one of them. 

"This water source better not be far," he practically whined as he swatted one of the insects that landed on his arm. 

A rush of air fled from Wesley's nose in a curt huff as he failed to contain his amusement at the pirate's struggles. Though he kept his back turned to the man as he led the way through the trees, he could clearly envision the pouting pirate behind him.

"We should happen upon it soon,"  Wesley stated. "This island isn't that big, and judging by the way the landscape rises more dramatically the further inland we get, I have a feeling there's a river around here somewhere."

"By the gods, I hope you're right."

Wesley turned to look at the man over his shoulder and smirked at the way his face twisted into a scowl as his lavender eyes tracked an insect that Wesley couldn't see from his short distance away. 

"Who knew it would only take a few little bugs to bring the big bad pirate to his knees?"

Valentine's eyes turned into a glare as they directed themselves at Wesley, but it only took a moment before the pirate's focus was broken and he was swatting at something on his arm again. Wesley smirked triumphantly as he turned to walk again, but it was soon wiped off his face as Valentine quipped, "I know something else that would bring me to my knees."

Ignoring the suggestive tone, Wesley trudged forward, proud to say he was becoming more immune to Valentine's innuendos. Or maybe he was just getting used to them. Either way, Wesley somehow avoided feeling embarrassed at the statement and instead rolled his eyes at the man. 

It was just harmless flirting at this point.

Wesley was reluctant to admit it, but the more time he spent with the man, the less of a monster he saw. Of course, he would never allow himself to forget his very long list of misdeeds, but he was surprised to find that the captain actually made tolerable company. He was entertaining at the very least. 

After a while of comfortable silence between them, Wesley felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Shouldn't we take a break soon?" Valentine asked as the merchant turned to face him. "It's too humid for all this walking."

"No need," Wesley said before jerking his thumb in the direction they were heading. "Do you hear that?"

Valentine paused to listen. After filtering through the cacophony of noise created by the birds and wind in the canopy above him, he was finally able to make out a dull hush in the distance.

His eyes widened in hope. "Is that water?"

Wesley smiled. "Yes."

"Seven Hells, it's a miracle!" he breathed. "Let's go. I need a swim."

Wesley agreed. Even he was sticky with sweat after all the exercise under the tropical heat. 

It only took a few more minutes for them to reach the water's edge. Wesley was correct in assuming the island possessed a river, but in addition to that, the scene they happened upon was of a beautiful waterfall with a pooled area beneath its descent. It wasn't a huge feature, by any means. The waterfall itself was just a few heads taller than Valentine, and probably as wide as a townhouse. It was stunning nonetheless.