Cold

Cold. That was all Wesley felt. It was so cold and dark in the ocean at night. Wesley knew he was slowing the pair down because of his little experience swimming with a tail, but he couldn't help it. All he could do was stick close to Valentine and trust that the siren would warn him of any threats looming in the darkness.

Wesley was a little disappointed that better eyesight didn't come with his newfound siren abilities. He supposed he could only ask for so much though, and prayed that they wouldn't be going deep enough for the darkness to linger even after the sun had risen.

"How are you holding up?" Valentine's voice took form in his mind.

"Cold," was all Wesley projected back. Moments later, he found himself pulled snug against Valentine's chest, which practically radiated warmth when compared to the frigid ocean water. The pair continued to swim, though it was a bit more awkward with their arms snaked around each other. Wesley guessed that it might not have been so bad if they were both experienced swimmers. It could've been graceful and elegant, but instead it was a bit sloppy and their movements were far from completely aligned with one another.

Wesley wanted to sigh, but not knowing what that would do to his current buoyancy, he refrained.

"We'll stop soon to get some rest," Valentine said.

Although Valentine had gained some of his weight and muscle mass back since his return, Wesley knew he still wasn't exactly healthy. He had a long way to go before he returned to the way he was when they first met. Judging by how much he'd recovered since the resurrection, Wesley estimated he might resemble his pirate days by the end of the next month or so. It seemed fairly quick, but when considering that the man healed from a stab wound to the thigh in one night, the estimate seemed more plausible.

While Wesley was beginning to exhaust because of swimming in a way he wasn't used to, he was sure Valentine was exhausting because of underused muscles in general. The siren would probably never admit it, but he was still weak. The thought worried Wesley. He feared that Valentine would push himself too much in an effort to be strong and protect his mate in this alien world.

Though, Wesley supposed, it was only alien to him.

It also troubled him that he was the fittest and healthiest person among their group. Valentine was still recovering and Andromeda was still affected by the drain of her magic and old age. If he could manage to swim right, Wesley would be the least crippled in the event that anything were to happen. He hoped it wouldn't come to a fight, but if it did, would he be able to help?

Wesley was sure his whole body was about to lock up from exhaustion by the time the group found a place to rest. Andromeda guided them toward a small cave nestled into the side of a reef. Wesley could barely see any of it as Valentine dragged him through the water. All three travelers were relieved to feel the soft sand lining the bottom of the structure. Andromeda curled herself into the farthest corner and fell asleep almost instantly.

Valentine helped Wesley settle in.

"Let out some of the air in your lungs," he instructed softly. "It will keep you from drifting too much while you sleep."

Wesley nodded tiredly, a few air bubbles escaping his lips. He noticed the effects almost immediately as his body sunk into the sand.

"Good," Valentine said, moving behind him so that Wesley's back was pressed against the siren's chest. The merchant appreciated the new warmth that surrounded his chilled skin as Valentine pulled him close and wrapped his arms and tail around his mate.

Wesley wasn't entirely sure how Valentine could be so warm when there was so little meat on his bones. Sure he had gained back some weight, but he was still pretty lean, all things considered. The cold should've been cutting through him worse than through Wesley. Perhaps, Wesley considered after a moment, it was a siren thing.

He was too tired to ask in that moment, so instead of trying to project his thoughts, he simply closed his eyes and prayed he wouldn't be eaten by a shark while he slept.

----+------+----

In the morning, Valentine took a moment to show Wesley how to find edible resources within the rich reef. He didn't mind the clams or even the seaweed, though it did taste a bit funny, but trying to eat raw fish left a literal bad taste in his mouth. He wasn't sure how Valentine managed to eat his freshly snatched prey. Perhaps it was an acquired taste. In the end, Wesley resolved to eating one of the apples Valentine had packed. It was a comforting reminder of the surface, but knowing the amount of them was limited made Wesley a bit regretful. He wished they'd packed more. An all seafood diet was sure to mess him up in one way or another.

He would have to get over it though. According to Andromeda, they would reach their destination in just two more days of travel. Beyond that, Wesley had no idea what the duration of their subsurface stay would be. It could be weeks, months, maybe even years until the rebellion was over. If he planned on staying by Valentine's side throughout it, he would need to adapt to the siren way of life.

Starting with the diet and getting better at swimming.

Wesley frowned slightly to himself.

This was going to be a long adventure.

----+------+----
A/N

What's the best April Fools Day prank you've ever pulled?

Thanks for reading,
-Mora Montgomery