Epilogue

The morning light painted the landscape in a stunning gold as Wesley buried his toes in the shallow surf. He closed his eyes and basked in the warmth of the sunrise, grateful for the moment of peace it provided. 

A few gulls called out against the wind as they scoured the beach for their breakfast, but apart from them and the shifting tide, all was quiet.

Warm arms wrapped around him from behind and Wesley easily leaned back into the toned chest of his mate. Soft lips met the nape of his neck briefly and a content smile crossed his own.

Valentine's arrival was followed closely by the pitter patter of tiny, unsteady feet slapping against the wet sand. Wesley turned his head to see Waverly's long, snowy hair graze the water as she stooped in search of washed up seashells.

"Good morning," Valentine's voice still rumbled with the deepness of sleep.

"Morning," he responded in an easy tone.

"Trouble sleeping again?" Valentine asked.

Wesley shrugged.

Their adventures had not been the most friendly to his mind, especially his subconscious. Often, when he closed his eyes his dreams were filled with lonely cells, bleeding hands, and harm to his mate.

Occasionally Valentine would rouse from a shattering dream of his own, but time and family were slowly taking the bite out of his bout in the afterlife.

"Daddy look!"

Wesley looked down at the girl next to his knee and crouched lower to examine the cream and pink colored shell she held in her hands.

"That's a pretty one," he smiled at the wide golden eyes that had stolen his heart. They sought his approval and he was more than willing to give it. She smiled wide at his words, turning to Valentine for his approval next.

"Papa?" She asked.

Valentine leaned forward with his hands on his knees and squinted as he exaggeratedly examined it with extreme particularity.

"Hmmm," he hummed after a few moments, keeping her on edge. Then, unable to stand the ruse any longer, he broke out in a smile. "I like it. Where'd you find it, princess?"

And just like that, Valentine was being dragged down the beach, his spine bent to accommodate the little hand that held his.

After leaving Aurelia, Valentine and Wesley had bought an island that was secluded, but only half a day's swim from the mainland. Wesley had sold his townhouse, and that revenue on top of the massive gifts of scales they'd received from the Aurelian people had been more than enough to build their own safe haven to raise the little princess.

Their little cottage faced east, while on the other side of the island, a cabin had been built for Andromeda and her newly freed mate Hectare. Neither seemed to mind watching their adopted granddaughter when Valentine and his mate needed time to themselves.

Wesley thought of Ambrose on occasion. He wished the man could've met Waverly before he returned to his duties beneath the library, but Wesley suspected that by now, the wielder had likely forgotten he had a son again.

It was a cruel blow to an already festering wound, but Wesley would just have to accept it and find solace in his new family and the overwhelming love they shared.

As Wesley eyed the man he loved  talking animatedly with the daughter they shared, he decided they might be due for another day to themselves soon.

He smiled contentedly at the thought and walked down the beach to join his family.