Self

"What are you?" Valentine asked the entity, pressing his back against the wall of the ship as if it would somehow protect him from himself.  

The mist rose a dark eyebrow. "Really?"

It was odd for him, to hear his own voice reflected back at him. It was velvety, deep, and confident. It also had a cocky lilt to it, which he found annoying to no end. Was that really what he sounded like? Gods. 

"What do you want?" he tried instead, narrowing his eyes at the legged version of himself. 

"The same thing you do," the pirate stepped closer to the siren. "To protect Wesley."

"I'm handling it."

"No. You're running like a coward."

"Don't call me that," Valentine said lowly. 

"Why?" the pirate's voice was rising in anger. "That's what you are, isn't it? Always running away from your problems?"

"That's rich, coming from a murderer!"

"We're the same person, Valentine!" The pirate yelled firmly, making it clear that the conversation was getting off track with a hard glare. "I know you hate me. I hate me too, but running won't save us. It won't save Wesley."

The pirate backed away from himself, looking around the room and into each pair of eyes that stared back at him. Sighing, he continued. "While I was in Wesley's head, I was privy to one of the prophetic dreams he's been having, courtesy of our mother's magic. I've seen what happens and it's more devastating than we've imagined. Our father will attack the surface and he will destroy all coastal towns, cutting off all forms of overseas trade for the landlocked human populations. They'll either starve to death or be slaughtered when the other Kingdoms, upon seeing his success, rise up to join our father in ridding the world of all humans. This needs to end before it begins," the pirate turned toward himself, locking lavender irises, "and we will play a crucial part in it."

"How?" Valentine's voice was small. He was frankly terrified. It was all too much. 

The pirate came closer, placing his hands on his knees and leaning forward so he could look himself in the eye. "You need to let me back in."

Valentine shook his head minutely and whispered, "I can't."

"You can," the pirate said softly. "You just have to give me permission."

The siren shook his head harder. "No. I can't lose him."

Both sets of lavender eyes turned to Wesley, who was looking on with a worried expression. 

"Trust me," the pirate said. "This is the best way for us to protect him. I can make us stronger. Braver. I can do what needs to be done."

"That's not what I'm talking about." Valentine murmured, causing the pirate's eyes to flick back to his. 

He understood. The pirate lowered his gaze and shifted his weight back a bit. 

"You should ask him before you make decisions for him."

Valentine chewed the inside of his cheek as he looked at Wesley again. With a nod of encouragement from his other self, he swam over to his mate. 

"Are you okay with this?" he asked softly. 

"Are you?" Wesley countered, seeing the anxiousness practically pouring off of him in waves. 

"He's- he killed your crew-"

"No, Valentine," Wesley cut him off, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You did."

Valentine felt faint. Everything was spiraling. All he wanted was to wake up from this awful nightmare. 

"And like a fool, I fell in love with you anyway." Wesley continued, making Valentine's attention snap back to him. "All of you."

Defeated, Valentine rested his forehead against Wesley's. 

"I love you, too," he said. He savored the moment for a few more seconds before placing a quick kiss on his lover's lips and turning back to his counterpart. "Fine. Let's do it."

The pirate smirked before dissolving into darkness once more. The inky tendrils swirled around Valentine, dragging the water with them until a small cyclone obscured the siren from everyone's vision. 

It only took moments, but it felt like forever before Wesley caught sight of him again. 

Surprisingly, when the water calmed, it revealed that most of Valentine's muscle mass had returned. He looked as he had when they'd met. Strong and intimidating. Powerful. He held himself with more confidence, too. And Gods was he sexy. Another smirk aimed in his direction did some weird things to Wesley's stomach, but he did his best to brush it off. 

"We need a plan." Calloway broke the silence after recovering from the spectacle.

"We have one," Valentine responded, since Wesley's dream had also showed them some helpful hints as to their strategy, "but my apologies, everyone. We'll have to wait to discuss it." He was already moving toward Wesley, looping an arm through his and leading him toward the aft of the ship. Suggestively, he said, "My mate and I are overdue for a dance."

Heat rose to Wesley's cheeks in the form of a blush. He was thankful for the dim light that hid it as Valentine practically dragged him into one of the backrooms of the ship. From the brief glance he got of it, it was probably the former captain's quarters. 

He did not get a chance to ponder it much before Valentine waved his hands around, causing the water to drain from the room. 

As a wall of air crashed into him, Wesley quickly remembered to breathe out the seawater in his lungs before trying to inhale air. He expected to hit the floor as the water level dropped, but instead he found himself wrapped up in Valentine's arms. The man now stood on two legs, his muscles bulging as he held up his mate, who was heavier than normal due to still having a tail.

Valentine pressed his lips eagerly to Wesley's, desperate to taste him. It took Wesley a few tries, due to broken concentration, but eventually he was able to change his tail back into legs. 

Valentine pinned him to a wall, and the tilt of the wrecked ship meant it took very little effort to keep him there. His lips easily charted a path down the column of Wesley's throat, torturing him more with every millimeter traveled. 

"My turn," he said lowly in Wesley's ear once he had navigated back up to it. 

Wesley groaned. He had missed hearing the man's voice. Actually hearing it, that is. The sirens' weird telepathic method of communication was interesting to him, but it was nothing compared to hearing with his own ears. 

"Gently," his only request came in a breathy whisper. His vocal chords were a bit weak from underuse, so the word cracked as it came out. 

"Of course," was his response. "I love you, Wesley Roberts."

"I love you, too."

----+------+----

A/N

I'm going to go play with a bunch of baby animals today! I'm told there are baby goats, donkeys, bunnies, puppies, ducklings, and more!

What's your favorite animal, baby or otherwise?

Sorry I'm so bad at keeping track of what day it is,
-Mora Montgomery