Chapter Four: Loss

Y/n quietly swept the kitchen, Holly resting in loaf form on the kitchen counter watching him as he hummed softly. He heard the soft click of the front door, but continued to hum and clean. He heard Chris try to sneak into the kitchen to find him, but waited until he was close enough to counterattack. "Welcome home." He greeted suddenly, hearing Chris jump.

"You knew I came home?"

"I heard the door." He answered, turning to face the brunette shyly. "I'm glad your home."

"Heh, really?"

"Yes." The shorter male confessed, setting the broom aside and approaching him. "It gets really quiet in your home at night."

"Yeah... I know," Chris admitted shyly, scratching the back of his neck. "Which is why I wanted you to stay... where I could have you close to me..."

"Just me? Or in general to not be alone?"

"Just... just you." He made eye contact with the male and both of them shyly watched each other. The silence around them was comforting, no longer having to say a word to the other.

The shorter male broke the silence first. "I see." He looked away sheepishly, hands fumbling together as Holly purred. Chris approached and picked her up, cuddling her to his chest.

"Has she been good?"

"Very cuddly, but yes. I think she really really missed you," Y/n smiled, unable to hide it. "I know I have, it gets bored not having anyone to talk to."

"Wait wait... you stayed home the whole two months I've been gone?"

"W-what? No I have left the house!" He defended quickly. "I'm just a little awkward in public... it's harder for me to speak and I've been anxious recently that I'm going to be found by that man..."

"Wesker..." Chris trailed and the shorter male nodded. "You shouldn't have to worry about him anymore..."

"Why's that?" That when the male saw the remorseful look on Chris' face. "Chris?" He gently reaches forward to touch the man's arm, but pulled away when Chris recoils from his touch. "What happened?"

"I... I'm not supposed to say..."

"Oh Chris..." He felt his pain, looking down towards the ground for a moment. "Why don't you try and relax? I'll get you something to eat..." Chris simply shook his head and took Y/n's hand in his.

"I'm not hungry..."

"Well... I understand... would you like to try and at least eat a little something? Maybe a cracker to settle your stomach? We can move forward from there and-" His words died on his tongue when he was sent a warning glare from the brunette. He stepped back, but only as far as Chris' still gentle grip on his hand would let him. "I'm sorry..."

"It's..." Y/n's chest tightens at his aggressive tone, but relaxes as he calms down and starts to apologize. "It's fine I just... I'm not in a good mood..."

"That's alright to not be in a good mood, would you like to try and talk about it later? Only if you're up to it. I understand you aren't meant to tell me anything, but know I'm here for you. I have no intentions of leaving you in the dark..." He saw the longing in Chris' eyes, the man having heard something he didn't expect. He was extremely glad to hear it however, as a small smile found his lips for a brief minute. "Why don't you rest up?"

"Yeah... ah alright." He went to the living room and Holly followed, wanting to be close to Chris. Y/n frowned and looked down at the floor, hands cupped together in deep thought.

He wondered what happened that shook the man this badly. Sure, he's figure it out eventually, but he wouldn't press for it. His hands wrapped around the broom handle and he began sweeping once again.

Chris sat on the couch, having his cat in his lap purring against him and a blank hundred yard stare in his eyes. The memories kept playing over and over in his head like a fractured record, getting caught on the broken bit and scratching more and more into the disk as it turned. His stomach churned and he felt weak at the last moments of the memory. Of her last moments of the memory. Chris had fought against Wesker with Jill in an abandoned mansion while we prayed to whatever god there was above that things would be okay.

When Wesker had nearly killed him he watched in horror as Jill shoved him out of the window, using her own body as a force. That wasn't all that unnerved him, but rather the fact that no one found either of their bodies. Wesker made sense. Freak of nature was he. But Jill? Why would Wesker want Jill's body? The thought made his stomach feel worse as he held down a gag. He caught Y/n entering the room, sweeping the floor carefully.

He looked down at the cat sleeping in his lap and let out a shaky sigh, he had to tell him. He needed someone else to know. To hear his concerns. Everyone else said she was gone and even without her body to bury, things would be fine. "Jill..." He looked up only through his eyelashes as Y/n turned to him confused. "She's... he... she died..." He saw the distress in the males eyes, lips pursed together in a thin line. "She jumped out of the window bringing him with her."

He saw the male set the broom aside and rush to his side. He wrapped his arms carefully around Chris as the more muscular brunette let out a sob. (Because everyone deserves to have their weak moments and Chris had to have had at least one when Jill "died"). He wrapped his arms around Y/n's waist, feeling like his world was ripping to shreds before his eyes. The images of her death kept falling over his vision and he squeezed the male tighter, even after hearing his gasp for air. Before suddenly he let the tension go. It took only a few seconds for
Y/n, but it felt like years for Chris, that the brunette fell asleep in his arms.

Sure, the truth was that Y/n didn't mind Jill much. Though he knew Chris loved her dearly as a friend and partner. And he loved Chris dearly in a similar fashion. So in the end he sat there holding male close, rocking him back and forth gently while humming a small song.