IV: Truth Of The Matter

*plop*

*crinklecrinklecrinkle*

"Mmm?" Uraraka hummed through a mouthful of noodles as her entire table turned to the sound of a candy bag landing on the surface, the crinkling of the plastic following as it was unwrapped. The brunette broke off the strands that weren't in her mouth and turned to the curious and interesting sight of light blue orbs plentiful inside the bag. "Hey what is that Deku? Some kinda candy?"

"Yeah, I got these a few days ago when I went to a candy store not too far from here." Midoriya informed as he discarded the golden tie around the neck of the bag. "They're little pebble things that are candy coated on the outside and they have like this yogurt, kinda cream filling on the inside. I like them."

"You know, looking at them remind me so much of somebody." Asui commented before turning to Uraraka. "Don't they?"

"Hmmm...oh yeah!" Uraraka beamed. "They're practically the same color as Hado ha! I didn't even realize that at first. Man, I miss working with Ryukyu, she's such a fun hero to work under. This time period of not being able to do legitimate hero work is making me so antsy."

"Despite my absence in the first round of Work Studies I must agree." Iida stated. "Acquiring our Provisional Licenses and sitting on the sidelines for the time being certainly has made some of us more impatient than we've realized. I can only imagine the exhilaration for you guys when exercising the increased liberty of our abilities."

"Oh it was REALLY fun, a lot more free reign compared to the internships that's for sure. When Tsu and I worked with Ryukyu she let us take control for the most part, she only stepped in when she knew she was needed or when there was something to be taught in the situation. And then-"

With his classmates focused on the story of Uraraka and Asui's experience with their draconian mentor Midoriya sighed with his right fingers fishing inside the parcel of the candy bag, pulling out a few orbs and popping them into his mouth. His gaze was focused on elsewhere in the distance as he chewed and grinded the candy yogurt spheres. The candy coating didn't have much flavor, the only attribute it contributed really was the combination of a hard shell texture with a softer gooey inside. The perfect combination of crunchy and smooth.

To this day he still doesn't consider himself a candy addict, nor does he ever think he would but it wasn't the flavor or the textures or whatever wacky trait candy brought to his life that he bothered to eat it for, it was the resemblance and coping factors that he continued to eat these spheres in the first place. And both of those factors tied to the one person that he currently stared at across the cafeteria hall, her smile still bright and beaming as if he was standing right beside her. Of course, she didn't notice him, how could she when she was happy and full of laughter with her friends that most certainly spent her time in a much better fashion than he ever would. He didn't know anything worth laughing over even if his life depended on it.

Spending time with Nejiire Hado has made Midoriya conclude that once everything is boiled down to a single sentence? He doesn't have the slightest chance of ever being together with somebody such as her. For starters he was but one out of an entire planet's worth of the male population, and within those population numbers he knows for certain there are people that would catch the spotlight of attention much easier than he could. He's short, doesn't have too distinct features that made him stand out from a crowd, wasn't charismatic or charming by any means, he wasn't anything to write home about. Though if he was he'd want to read that entire letter from top to bottom to determine what kind of methamphetamine his significant other was doing to think he was worthy of being placed in a letter.

It was humorous to him (not really) how he wanted to get Hado off of his mind so that he may spare himself the whirlpool that was a man falling hard for a woman who he knew he didn't have a chance with. But he just couldn't. Which was pathetic given that at first it was nothing more than a mere interest in the type of person that she was, not the person itself. In a little over a week it was clear to Midoriya that this interest of his for the third year had grown to something more, to something he feels stupid for having in the first place. How strange it was for a man to fall so easily, and never see the surface again.