Can i drive you home

Unedited

You were back to work at Little Homeworld. Being an all-over TA for a school was not as laid back as you thought. When you applied, you assumed there would be at least some leisure time. In the end, it was a lot of running back and forth, and somehow, you've put out about 5 fires.

As you were walking through the town, delivering a freshly printed assignment to a class, you saw Steven. You gave him a small smile and waved. Steven's faced tinted pink, and he smiled and waved back. Then he started running towards you.

"Hey, Y/n!" Steven greeted you excitedly.

"Hi Steven," you answered, stopping in your tracks, "What's up?"

"I uh, was wondering if maybe you were doing anything Friday night?" Steven asked, seeming nervous. He was, of course, blushing once again.

"Heh, considering the only ones I know around here are the teachers, students of the school, and you," you laughed, "My schedule is crystal clear, is what I'm trying to say."

"Great! I mean, not great about... but it's great that you're free, ugh," Steven seemed to get frustrated with himself, "my friend is throwing a throwback rave this weekend and I was wondering if you wanted to go with... me? It'd be a great opportunity for you to get to know everybody!"

You smiled gently and placed your hand on his shoulder," Sounds great, I have to go, but text me the details later, bye Steven!"

Just like that, you were running back to your class for the day, smiling about your interaction.

Hours later, little home school ended, allowing you to gather your things and head home. Of course, right on time was Steven.

"We could take the Dondaiii," he tried to sound convincing, smiling widely. You smiled at silliness, but suddenly, your thoughts began racing. He just feels bad for, wants to spend the least amount of time with you possible, you thought.

"Steven," you stood, having a sad expression on your face, "It's okay, I can walk myself home, I'll be okay."

You tried to give him a reassuring smile, but it didn't seem to work very well.

"What?!" He yelled, a worrisome look on his face, "That's not what I meant, I'm sorry, I love our walks, I just thought maybe you'd like to... I'm sorry, i didn't mean to make you feel that way, honest."

"It's okay, Steven," you smiled, sadness still mellowing in your head, "If you don't mind, I'd like to walk alone today."

"Wait, Y/n, please don't do that," Steven followed you, "I really like walking with you."

"I really like walking with you too, Steven," you stopped, not looking at him, "I just need to walk alone today."

"Y/n, what's wrong?" Steven began to wonder if this was really about offer to drive you home. He lightly touched your hand, "Is something else bothering you?"

"It's just, we've been walking together, I feel... guilty, you have to walk home by yourself. I feel... like a burden? I'm sorry, I gotta go," you began to intertwine your fingers with his but suddenly stopped and started walking away again. Steven stood in shock and in embarrassment. His face was flush. You were holding his HAND with YOUR HAND. He quickly shook his, snapping out of his enchantment.

"Y/n!" He called to you. You stopped. You felt ridiculous walking away like this, but you also didn't like sharing your emotions too much. It feels silly, considering you just kinda poured your heart out to him. Which is strange in a way. You've never really talked to anyone about your feelings. It's so oddly easy when it comes to him, though.

"I'm sorry, Steven, I'm not trying to be dramatic or anything, I've just... I guess I'm just nervous about sharing emotions," you avoided eye contact, your face feeling like it was on fire.

"You don't have to apologize, Y/n, I'm sorry for following you, after you said you wanted to be alone... I just don't want to go home tonight actually thinking you're a burden. Which you're not! It's a privilege to walk with you. Please don't think about it like that, I really enjoy your company," he rubbed the back of his head smiling, a tint of pink across his face. You smiled and took his hand in yours.

"Thank you. Would you still like to drive me home?" You asked, a playful smile on your face, Steven didn't reply. You looked at him. He was glowing pink and staring at your hands, almost in awe. Your eyes widened, he's a gem?

"Steven, I... I didn't even know," You were at a loss of words. Steven tensed, and he pulled his hand away, the pink glow was gone.

"I... I'm half gem... Diamond? Is that okay?" His voice seemed to crack, you could tell he was nervous.

"Steven, I like because of who you are. I don't care about anything like that, you're my friend," you smiled, taking his hand, he instantly turned pink again. You smiled and only held his pinky finger with yours, Steven took a deep breathe and the color was once again gone.

"Sooo, you're gonna let me drive you home in the Dondaiii?" He smirked, you laughed and gently shoulder checked him.

"Let's go before I change my mind," you rolled your eyes. When you got to the car, he, of fucking course, opened the passenger door for you. Your face blushed slightly at the gesture.

"M'lady," he said, playfully bowing. You smiled and rolled your eyes, climbing into the car. He gently closed the door and climbed in on the other side. As you both rode through the town, you stared off at the beach. The sun had gone down and the town was now tinted a violet shade. You hoped that your nights in Beach City never end.

Once you arrived at your house, Steven quickly jumped out to hold the door for you.

"Thank you," you smiled, climbing out of the vehicle and onto the sidewalk.

"Y/n," Steven said, in such a serious tone that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

"Steven?" You asked nervously, he was so close. You were practically almost touching, facing towards one another. His face looked incredibly stern.

"You're not a burden," he reached his hand and wrapped his pinky around yours, "Okay?"

Your face was flushed, tears crept.

"Okay," you nodded, looking away, placing your free hand over your mouth.

"Y/n? Are you crying?" Steven asked worryingly, his face contorted with anxiety.

"Not yet," you laughed, pulling your hand away, wiping your tears before they could escape," Thank you Steven, Goodnight."

You quickly walked to your home and walked inside. You placed your keys on the counter and sighed. You leaned down and placed your head on your arms the counter. Tears began to stream down your face.