Two

I still can't believe that Commander Rayner approached me first about transferring me to the capital.

I mean, he didn't exactly approach me, he called me to his office, but the result ended up being the same since he mentioned the matter first after waiting for me to sit in front of him.

I was initially worried that he would talk about my mistakes during the training and about the distracting impact of my family's letters on my focus, but was instead surprised with an apology, which I hadn't seen coming at all.

Seeing the commander bow before me left me speechless to say the least.

Commander Rayner then informed me that he's recently been in contact with Goldwyn's Knight Commander Keith, a very well known knight who has been made companion of a dragon two years after his ceremony, which was a long time ago.

Apparently, though my skills can see an improvement, the man had nonetheless shown interest in me and agreed to overlook my transfer to the capital himself, and that all they needed left was to hear my response to the kind and generous offer before finalizing the process.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing, but I was not going to miss that opportunity so I obviously agreed with a badly restrained excitement that he then vanquished with a second matter that made me freeze on my seat.

"You will be assigned to Sir Taehyung, who I believe you have met already, for the reminder of your stay here. Know that it is an honor to serve a dragon, so make sure to give this task your all. It is no easy feat to catch a dragon knight's attention, you can be proud" he'd said with a mysterious smile on his face, as if he knew of a secret that he couldn't tell me.

I frown at my book before closing it with a huff, I have not read a single word despite having turned the page too many times and I don't see the point in trying again, I completely lost the flow of the story.

Why was I assigned to the dragon knight, Taehyung? It makes no sense, I get that we had a peculiar interaction together in the stable earlier today, but how did that end up gaining me his attention? All he saw of me was the image of a pitiful knight, which I am in no way proud of.

So does it have anything to do with my behaviour towards him? I tried to be respectful, but did my refusing his demand insult him so much that he had to take me under his wings so that he could punish me himself?

I shake my head, no, that would make no sense. Knights of the Order of Fire would never stoop so low, they are proud creatures, noble and kind, punishing me for something so meaningless would be a waste of time in his eyes, he who must have lived through centuries already.

Could it be because I'm the only woman here then? Or is it because he had pity on me after learning that I had to walk in horse shit because of a failed sword training?

I sigh and rest my head on the table, the candle that I keep by my side flickering softly at the movement, the only light I keep with me when I come to the library.

There's something peaceful about being surrounded by darkness in the silent chillness of the large room after a long day of being surrounded by loud and obnoxious men. There's no one to stare at me impudently, no one to utter stupid words, no one to bother me.

There's only me and it's... perfect.

So why do I not feel rested tonight?

I bring a hand to my nape, the memory of the burning sensation still strong in my mind, and when I let my fingers wander the thin skin there, it's to feel lines engraved right below my hairline. That wasn't here before.