VI. in the streets you run a-free

— ⚓︎  ⚓︎  ⚓︎ —

— ⚓︎ ⚓︎ ⚓︎ —

"YEAH, THEY'RE A BUNCH OF FANCY PEOPLE. They've had like three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, three hundred years,"

The truck rolls down the luxurious streets of Charleston, once again holding the squished Pogues that sit inside with renewed energy and focused eyes.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues," JJ says and Oakley nods in agreement.

"Feels good to witness their defeat," she smirks, looking out the window as they come to a stop before a grand house.

It's large and antique, built like an old jewel and blending in with the structure of the other equally exorbitant residences. It makes Oakley's eyebrows furrow slightly and her mouth fall agape, the concerning weight of doubt causing her eyes to scan it hesitantly, pondering over the thought of letting Pope go in there or not.

"You sure this is the place, Pope?" JJ voices her same worries, and it takes quite a long analytical silence for the boy to muster up a reply.

"Pretty sure,"

"Alright," the blonde immediately opens the door, jumping out of the truck alongside the other three.

They comment their feelings about the place as Oakley holds onto Bali's leash and they walk up before it, standing right in front as Pope brings the letter up to make sure they're not pounding on the incorrect door.

"Twenty-seven King Street," he reads aloud, bringing the letter back down to gape at the house.

Oakley pulls Kie and JJ's hands and moves forward, "Talk about home security," JJ exclaims.

"How many minutes do you bet I'd last before getting electrocuted if I ever tried to break in?" The girl turns to her friends, making Kie roll her eyes and shove her away.

"Don't say that,"

   "Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ asks, all four standing in a horizontal line staring up at the strange building.

   Kie shakes her head, "No,"

   Oakley's eyebrows furrow, "Well then their money sure couldn't buy them taste. That's awful decor," she widens her eyes and Kie rolls her eyes.

   "The slave quarters are over there," Pope explains, looking at a particular shed in the yard, "These spikes were to keep people in,"

   Oakley gulps, "That's terrifying. Thank God we didn't let you come alone," she says, eyebrows knitted as she watches the spikes and imagines the feeling of them tearing at her skin.

Sending shivers down her spine, the girl shakes her body and huffs, turning to her best friends and nodding towards the entrance.

   "Well, no one's gonna come invite us in. Plus, we're already a day late, so we better get going," she says, already getting tugged at by the giant dog as he catches sight of a pigeon and pulls her away before the Pogues can reply.