Chapter 9 - New Adventure

---Mara's POV ---

"We aren't bringing the chicken." Nikolai laughed, taking her bags from her hands as they stood in her front doorway.

"Well, you either get both of us, or neither of us." She teased, flashing him a flirtatious smile. He pursed his lips, taking a deep breath.

"Dogan isn't going to be a fan." He sighed, heading out the door toward the ship as she finished some last-minute tidying up. "I'll be back." He called out.

This was really it; she was leaving. Her heart was so filled with excitement it could burst, but she also felt a heavy sorrow weighing on her chest. She was finally going to experience other places other than this beautiful island. And she wouldn't have to do it by herself.

She watched Nikolai through the window. Her two suitcases in each of his hands and her bag slung over his shoulder. His shoulders were wide in stature, his steps large and purposeful. He was a powerful man to be around, but not in the ways she expected a captain to be.

She finished putting everything away, cleaning out the kitchen, and shoving a few small things here and there that she wanted to bring into her apron pockets. After a little while she stood back, looking at her room. Mostly empty except for the furniture. She had put away all of her keep sakes that she wasn't bringing into a large crate, hidden in the closet.

She took a deep breath, remembering all of the time she had spent here. Only ever imagining what was right in front of her. Mara stood there reminiscing for a while, losing herself in fond memories.

"Ready?" Nikolai asked, walking through the door. She turned to look at him and nodded. He stood beside her. "The ship is ready to set sail, everyone looks forward to meeting you."

"Why?" She asked, meeting his gaze.

"Because I don't just bring anyone on my ship." He said softly.

"Your ship?" She smiled, teasing him. "Oh, what have I done to have been so highly favored by The Captain Nikolai that he would pluck me from the sea and allow me safe passage through those cold and lonely waters?" She was all dramatics as she clutched her hands together and fluttered her eyelashes at him. He laughed.

"First of all, there are many reasons, I'll tell you of them someday. Not today though," He smirked. "Second of all," He paused. "You can't call me Nikolai on the ship. I go by a different name in front of my crew. Just for professional and privacy reasons."

"What am I to call you?" She asked, looking at him puzzled.

"My mates call me Sturmhond, my privateer's name. My newer crew members call me Captain. You can pick one of those." He said.

"Alright," I gave him a small smile. "Captain." She whispered, moving her hands over his chest and wrapping her fingers around the lapels of his coat. Pulling his face closer to hers.

He was much taller than her, almost by a whole foot of measurement. He froze, his jaw clenched. But she just laughed as she pushed him away, he was so fun to tease. A low growl of a groan crept up from his throat as Mara walked away.

The ringing of a bell began ringing through the window.

"That's our queue." Nikolai spoke, clearing his throat and motioning for them to go. They walked out of the house, and she turned one last time to look inside. Leaving a piece of her at the door as she locked it.

Grettel clucked at their feet, scratching at the grass. Nikolai shook his head before scooping her up, and placing her gently under his arm. And looking at Mara as she giggled at him.

"Cmon." He sighed, swinging his other arm over her shoulders as they headed toward the beach.

After arriving at the dock, they were greeted by a man with brown hair and the beginnings of a beard. He gave Mara a kind smile, and held out his hand, offering to help her onto the ramp.

"Mara, this is Dogan. My right hand man and second in command." Nikolai beamed. "He's a good man, he'll take care of you while aboard. If you have any questions that I can't answer, he's the one to ask!" Nikolai finished, walking ahead of them to set Grettle down on the deck.

"Lovely to make your acquaintance. I hope you find our journey pleasant and that you can make yourself right at home. Mind the crew, they are just a bunch of lonely bums," He laughed.

"But you'll come to like them. Henrik is quite the character as well, he seems to be about your age, you'll meet him later." Dogan said, helping her step over the gap between the ramp and the ship.

"Thank you." She smiled, "I know this is all probably quite strange. I'm grateful for your generosity and warm welcome."

Dogan nodded once before excusing himself. Nikolai was at her side again. He tilted his head behind him, motioning for her to follow him.

He brought her up the stairs and gestured for her to sit on a bench that was welded to the back of the ship. She sat down, watching as the sails filled with the wind, and a large jolt forward told them that they were on our way.

Nikolai sat beside her, he's arms spread open behind her. Resting on the back of the bench. The picture of ease, a comical look of pride on his face. Mara giggled, looking around them. Her eye caught the light house, and she felt her heart pulling towards it.

The grass on the hills waved back and forth, and the island had never seemed so small. She took one last look, painting a picture of it in her mind before looking ahead. Her heart was pounding, the sea was more beautiful than she'd ever seen it.

It sparkled in the sunshine, pulling them along on this unexpected adventure. She realized that a smile had been permanently stuck on her face and she didn't care. And all at once, without her noticing, the island was no longer in sight.