Chapter 19 - Found

---Mara's POV---

"How may we help you sir?" The man asked behind me, his voice unsettlingly cheerful.

Nikolai turned and caught both of our gazes. His eyebrows furrowed, and he stepped towards the counter. His deep hazel eyes never leaving mine. I wanted to scream out to him, grab for the safety he provided. To feel his strong arms, wrap around me and take me anywhere but here.

"I'd ask you not to stare at my daughter." The man said quickly, his cheerfulness fading.

"My apologies." Nikolai said smoothly. His voice was like honey to my ears, and my heart crumbled in my chest. I opened my mouth to say something, but I felt something sharp against my back. The man was holding his knife just below my ribcage. He was in control. "She just looks a little familiar. Is the face covering for religious purposes?" Nikolai finished. His gaze becoming more intrigued as he looked us both over.

"Yes. She cannot remove it." The man snapped. "Now is there something we can do for you?"

"Yeah, I'm looking for a map of the area."

"What for?"

"Hunting."

"It isn't the season."

"For me it is."

Their eye contact became more intense with each remark. Finally, the man eased the knife off my back, and turned behind us to flip through a few pieces of paper. Looking for the correct map.

While his back was turned, Nikolai took another step forward and his lips silently formed my name. Barely moving my head, I nodded. My throat burning, sobs tearing holes in my chest from the inside. But if Nikolai was to save me, I would need to remain still and calm.

I could see Nikolai's chest rise and fall more intensely. He was trying to contain his feelings too. It was as if all time had stopped. He had come for me. A tear rolled down my cheek, as I looked deep into his eyes. His gaze devoured me. Taking in all of the dirt on my body, and the small bruise that was forming on my cheekbone. Looking every bit as relieved as he looked angry. His ears were turning red, and I could see his knuckles turning white as he formed fists with his hands.

The knife returned, and the man dropped a heavy canvas roll onto the counter. Nikolai, reached into his pocket and pulled out his bag of coins. He dropped a few silver dollars on the counter and grabbed the map.

"Thanks." He said shortly, as he took a step backward, before turning on his heel and walking out the door. I let out a heavy breath. He knew where I was. He had found me. Now I just needed to escape. The knife disappearing from my back again, and the man grabbed my face turning head towards his.

"Good girl."

---Nikolai's POV---

My blood boiled as I walked out of the shop. I ran a hand through my hair, looking back behind me. My mind was racing. I needed to save her. I quickened my pace and practically ran to the town square. Tossing the map into a trash can on my way. I found Henrik sitting on the edge of the fountain.

"There you are. You're bloody late." He said as I finally stopped in front of him.

I took off my bag and started rifling through it. Searching until I found what I was looking for. My pistol. I pulled a bullet from my belt and pushed it in. Not stopping until it was fully loaded.

"Wait what are you doing? Where have you been?"

I looked up at him as I tucked the gun into my belt.

"I found Mara."

Sorry for the shortie! I will hopefully be updating more regularly! I'll also be editing the story here and there as I go!

Don't forget to vote and comment! It helps me know what is interesting and liked!
-M