Chapter 8

"Did I just hear you're getting married?!" I asked when I regained consciousness.

"Yes I am."

"Why; when?"

"Well, he asked me last night; and well, because, I love him." Paul isn't in the room anymore. "He makes me happy Avery. I haven't felt this way since I met your father. You have to understand that. We're going to be family again! Don't you want that?"

"We were a family, we always were, and you ruined that by saying yes to Paul! I'm not saying I'm not happy for you, because I am. It's just... why did you have to say yes?"

"I love him, and I know that this is going to be you but I'm asking you to just give him a chance, for me."

"This is messed up. Everything is messed up!" I yelled and ran out the door, tears stinging my eyes.

I was in the living room watching TV when Paul came in the room. I groaned and got up ready to walk away when he stopped me. "Sit down, please." I rolled my eyes but sat anyways. "Look, I know you're upset about your mother and I getting married but why can't you just give me a chance?"

"I don't need you. We were a family, just me and my mother, until you came into the picture," I spoke quietly.

"I'm not your father and I can't replace him, I know that. All I'm asking is for you to give me a chance. Please."

I sighed. "I don't know." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I won't try and act like your father, I promise. I won't hurt your mother either. I love her. Just give me a chance and I won't ask again if I mess up."

"Okay, fine." A smile formed on his lips. He hugged me and surprisingly I hugged him back.

"Thanks."

My phone rang. "I have to take this," I said and walked into the hallway as I answered the call. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Avery?" the unknown voice asked.

"Yes, who's asking?"

"Hi very, it's Bethany."

"Oh," I said awkwardly.

"I just wanted to call to ask you to please come back to Hollywood. I'm really sorry for being mean. The truth is, I was just jealous." My jaw dropped. She was jealous of me?

"Really, you're not lying?"

"No, I'm not. Please come back."

I thought about it for a second. "Well..."