chapter five

chapter five;
everyone's type

        "Oh I feel so, nice today," Adley smiled to herself, taking a full gulp of her fresh, hot coffee while putting a cosy on the one she got for Barry, thinking he would like one at work. "Why am I being nice? This is weird."

At the station, Barry stood talking with Eddie. "Ah!" He yelped in surprise, rubbing his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

"You alright, Allen?" the detective inquired, sending him a look of suspicion.

"Yeah, just.. bit my tongue," Barry lied slowly, confused by the sudden pain he had in his mouth. He turned to see Iris walk into the station, smiling brightly at Eddie.

"Hey, Barry," she waved, awkward, before kissing Eddie on the cheek.

"Hi, babe. I saw the news." Iris rolled her eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, which you would know if you checked your messages, I tried you three times." Barry shuffled uncomfortably on his feet, before a face appeared by the door that made him straighten up. Adley.

"Hey, um, babe," Barry said, winking at Adley.

"Babe?" she choked quietly when he went in for a hug.

"Go with it," he whispered, smiling brightly as she grimaced. Barry pulled her into a side hug, her head lolling against his shoulder. Iris laughed at the girls face, smooshed and ticked off.

"Hey," she smiled, "Do I know you? And babe? Do you have something to share, Barry?"

"Yeah, babe? Do you?" Adley muttered through smiling, gritted teeth.

"Iris, meet Adley, my girl-"

"Friend," they said at the same time. "Oh, wow, look how cute we finish each other's-"

"Sentences?" Barry grinned.

"I hate you, Allen," mumbled Adley as she smiled passive aggressively. "Adley Rose Heap, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm Iris, Barry's best friend since-" Barry swooped his hand around, catching the coffee tray in her hand as Adley fell limp on his arm.

"Sorry!" He squeaked, "Narcoleptic, didn't really think we made it to that part of the introductions yet."

"Barry, this is your room," Iris said sweetly, a grin cracked on her lips. "I can't believe we get to live with each other, now." Barry stayed silent, faking a smile as he dropped his yellow and red backpack on the bed.

"Thanks, Iris," a man called from the doorway.

"It's no problem, Barry's my best friend."

"Good morning, sunshine," Barry's grinning face was the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes.

"Oh my," Adley mumbled, feigning surprise.

"I thought you grew out of your narcolepsy," Barry drew out slowly, handing her the coffee she nearly dropped.

"The other one is for you," she ignored his coverup, jumping when she remembered Iris and Eddie. "Right, sorry, hello again."

"Narcolepsy?" Eddie asked, eyebrows knitted together.

"Yeah, I um, thought I grew out of it." Adley scratched the back of her neck.

"It was nice to meet you," Iris chirped, desperate to escape this incredibly awkward situation, turning to Barry before just saying, "Bye."

"Bye." The atmosphere was even more awkward than before.