chapter twenty-five

chapter twenty-five;
don't go

        "Barry," Adley choked, "Is that you?" Blood trailed from the corner of her mouth, a trail of thick red against her pale, china-white skin.

"Yeah," he sighed, "Yeah, baby, I'm right here." He placed a firm grip on the knife in her stomach, his shaking hands suddenly stilled on the handle. "We're gonna help you. Caitlin is on her way right now, you're gonna be just fine. Just fine," he repeated, pressing his lips to her forehead to let her know even through closed eyes that he was there and that she was safe now, in his arms. "Why don't I feel it? I can't feel your pain," he said, confused as he looked down to see a pool of blood bubbling beneath his suit, but no ache, no sharp stinging. Nothing.

"It doesn't hurt," she assured him, lazily lacing her fingers between his and giving a weak squeeze, in response he gripped it tightly, bringing it to his heart so she could feel it beating."I love you," she let out between strangled gasps, Barry's eyes widening in fear at the realization of what this was. A goodbye.

"No, no no," Barry panicked, pressing his hands down on her wound firmly. "Don't do this. Breathe with me baby, don't go." She reached up, taking down the mask of his suit so that she could see him one last time. Placing her chilling hand on his cheek, she smiled.

"No, let me say it." Her voice was hoarse, words trying to come out, bits of each lost on their way out, "Tell me you love me. For you, not for me. I already know," she cried out sadly, a laugh turning into a warped groan.

"I love you too," Barry sobbed, his false assurance that this was alright failing him as he realized this was it. That she would be gone, his love never to be loved again. "I love you so much, oh my God, Ads."

She grinned, her eyelids fluttering closed for the last time, head lolling against his stomach. The ache in his chest was like a heart monitor, the throbs becoming slower, and slower until they exploded in the final beep, a pang in his chest starting as small and slowly enveloping all of his features in a fog of tingling stabs each of those growing into one universal hurt as the cord between the two of them was cut.

"No," he muttered, rolling onto his side with a grunt. "Don't leave me." His demand was muffled by his pillow, cotton catching the words of a forlorn lover.

"I was just going to the bathroom," Adley furrowed her brows, shaking her head before turning to look at him.

"No," he cried again, and that was all she needed, the small whimpered "no" for her to jump back to the bed, hands wrapping firmly around his bare shoulders and shaking him awake. He rose with a gasp, head immediately falling to his hands, rubbing his eyes.

A sob racked his shoulders and she leaned over, cooing, "What's wrong? Barry, I'm worried about you." His gaze lifted, emerald eyes locking on hers.

"You were dead," he said between cries, pulling her into his arms so tightly she shook with him, burying her face in his neck in the way she knew he loved.

"I'm here," she assured him, "I'm not gonna leave you." He brushed his hands over her hair, a comforting gesture to him, somehow, that he was able to hold her in his arms and stroke her soft curls, at least, one last time.

"Don't. God, please never do," he whispered, his breaths ghosting through her strands of thick brown hair as she rubbed soft circles into his back. He held her still like he was protecting her, even when he was the one who needed saving.

Later that day, Adley had picked up some coffees at jitters, a small decaf with milk for Barry and her usual Americano for herself. She sighed in relief as the flavors fled her tongue, just her alone with her own emotions and thoughts for the first time today.

Barry had been acting strangely like he was definitely hiding something from her but she was yet to figure out what it was. That was, until, she walked into Barry's lab to find him shakily lifting up a scroll, placing a hand on his hip and smiling at her like all was well.

"What are you doing?" She deadpanned, sipping her coffee and narrowing her eyes. "And don't give me that 'nothing' bullshit because nothing is always something so let's skip that step." Barry sighed as Joe pursed his lips, impressed. Barry reached up, pulling down the scroll. She was shocked to find it chock full of photos of Dr. Wells. "And what's this?"

"No-"

She blinked at him. "Really?"

"Fine. I think Dr. Wells killed my mom," Barry admitted, sitting down in his chair. Adley thought back for a moment on the several visions she had seen of Dr. Wells. The first one especially, the one where he was standing.

"He can stand, you know," she muttered, "He's not handicapped."

"What?" Barry snapped, looking at her in shock. "Why would you say that?"

"That time," she sighed, "When we were fighting Farooq, and earlier that day I had been training. I accidentally saw into his past. He was standing and talking to this female, Gideon."

"Couldn't that have just been before the explosion?" Joe questioned.

"He was talking about Barry. The Flash, specifically."

Barry furrowed his eyebrows. "And you didn't tell me this?"

"He also killed General Eiling."

"Why did you keep these things for me?"

"I don't know, Bar," Adley sighed. Barry threw his hands up, her flinch in response making him frown.

"You don't know, Adley? Really? That's all you have as an excuse?"

"He was important to you!" She shouted, shutting him up. "You needed him. And as much as I didn't like the stuff I was seeing, I convinced myself none of it was as important as you being happy and safe. He was a father figure to you, Barry, not unlike Joe, who helped keep you running, quite literally. I didn't want to compromise that because of something I wasn't even sure was completely accurate. But then there was the thing with Hartley," she trailed off. "Haven't quite trusted him since." Barry let out a frustrated breath, pulling her to his chest. "What's this?"

"I didn't mean to snap," he explained into her hair.

"I know," she assured him, nodding. "So what are we gonna do about it?"

"You're not taken aback by this at all?"

"I'm used to losing father figures," Adley said, bored and skimming over some of the articles.

"Nope, stop that. Don't think about that." Barry started poking her hip to make her laugh.

"Seriously Barry, what are we gonna do?" Adley began knowing on the inside of her lip. "We can't just take him down–how would we protect you? How would I not die? He's literally at the center of our entire universe, and now a case."

Joe shook his head. "I don't think we can take any action until we have viable proof."

"That's probably smart," Adley agreed as a loud noise from the other end of the city interrupted their conversation. "Oh god," she breathed at the sight of smoke. "Looks like you have to go, buddy," she pecked Barry on the cheek.

"I love you, and I'll see you later," Barry spoke sincerely before flashing out.

Adley mock-sniffled, wiping a nonexistent tear from her cheek. "I've taught him so well."

a/n: okay i swear i've made a schedule i'm gonna start publishing regularly i sSWEAR okay put your pitchforks and torches down. call it like an almost new years resolution.

new chapters of this story will be posted wednesdays and saturdays, up to one episode each depending on how much original content i'll be putting in. i've come to the realization that wattpad is something that's really important to me, you guys are really important to me, and you deserve the effort i put into it.

you guys are so so awesome and really mean a lot to me.

i hope you're all doing well, and that if you're jewish you've had a great holiday. sorry christmas takes the wheel all the time.

for now, i hope you enjoy this update, and start getting pumped for me actually getting organized for once.