chapter twenty

chapter twenty;
beautiful

Barry returned from his recent rescue, chuffed with the success of saving a young couple.  There was nothing more heartbreaking than watching the man gape in horror at his car in red and orange flames, thinking the love of his life had burst into inferno along with it, but then again, there was nothing more encouraging than returning his girlfriend to him, witnessing their reunion, and knowing it was all because of him.  Barry's greatest successes were often short-lived, but held a real emotional toll over him. 

His first action upon his return to the lab was greeting Adley, the events of that night making him nervous that he didn't show her how much he appreciated her often enough. 

He sighed at the sight of her fast asleep at her desk, a hoodie of his draped around her shoulders.

"She checked out a while ago," Caitlin had a satisfied smile on her face, in awe of how cute her two friends were.  "Told me to tell you that, quote, 'Hope you're not dead, and that you're happy.'"  And then she found one of your sweatshirts and she was a goner." 

Barry flashed out of his suit, before returning and breaking down the night's events with his team.

"Tonight is the fastest you've ever run," Caitlin tapped at her tablet.

Dr. Wells smiled, "Yes, your training is paying off, and tonight that couple is alive because of you."  Barry's eyes flitted to the slumbering brunette behind them, before turning back to Wells.

"I can still go faster," he sighed, "I know I can."

"And you will one day, I'm sure," Wells assured, "But for today, I'd say you've filled your save quota.  Proper rest is what you need, as do we all."  The team all narrowed their eyes at Adley.  "Surrounded by us sad souls is probably very draining for her.  You can't blame her for something she has no control over." 

"I should probably be getting her back to her apartment," Barry muttered.

"You don't wanna stay for a drink?" Cisco asked, "Misbehaving in the name of celebration?"

"I can't sorry, it's movie night with Joe.  Adley's just a pit stop," Barry explained, a smile trained on his lips at the sound of Adley's groan.

"Why are you all so loud?" She whined, pulling the baggy sweatshirt sleeve over her eyes.

"Come on, sleepyhead." Barry shuffled her onto his back, "I'm taking you home."

She nuzzled her head into his neck, murmuring a thank you against his skin.

"It's no problem, baby," Barry craned his neck, kissing her forehead before flashing her home.

Barry always loved getting ready in the morning.  He could always feel when Adley got soap in her eye, when she would burn her tongue on her coffee.  It's like they were getting ready together, like a normal couple, except the two of them were far from normal. 

He jumped at the sound of his phone going off.

Meet me at Iron Heights.  Bring Adley.

J.W.

Barry frowned at the possible reasons Joe may want Adley there. He knew about her abilities, so the chances he wanted to use those were high. Barry considered the fact that Adley still hadn't met his father, and that maybe that could be on the agenda for the day.

He pursed his lips in thought, before calling her on the phone.

"Adley Rose Heap," Her voice crackled through the speaker of his phone, his lips twitching in a smile automatically.

"Do you not have caller ID?" He teased.

"No, adds a wonderful mystery to my life. 'Who could be calling me?' It's a surprise every time," she explained, kicking her feet up on her coffee table.

"Joe wants you to come to Iron Heights with me."

"And why is that?"

"He didn't say."

"Another mystery."

"I guess so, yeah," Barry chuffed.

"You'll come pick me up? Or should I drive?"

"Let's carpool,"

"In a car or on your feet?"

"Where's the fun in driving?"

He heard her sigh, "I guess I see your point," She whined.

"I'll be there in five." Barry got ready in seconds, giving himself a second look in the mirror before he was en route to Adley's apartment.

"I'm in the bathroom!" She yelled, where he found her brushing her teeth.

"That's hot," Barry joked. She made a face at him through the mirror. "Hey, uh, how would you feel about meeting my dad today?" Her toothbrush fell from her mouth, clattering in the sink.

"Sorry, uh - Yeah I'd love to it's just . . . Do you want me to?"

"I'd love for you to meet my dad." She picked up her toothbrush, rinsing it and then turning to him.

"Then let's go see your dad. I'd love to meet the man who made my man," she winked, whisking past him into her bedroom. Barry turned, and stopped at the sight of her shirtless back.

She had a small birthmark below her left shoulder blade, slightly hidden by her bra, which was a dark navy against her tanned skin. His eyes were trapped in the ridges of her spine, curves of her back.

"You're so beautiful," he sighed, her body turning to face him. She pecked his lips before pulling on a thick sweater.

"You're so kind," she giggled, her cheeks a warm blush at the compliment. "Nobody's ever called me beautiful before." Barry recoiled in shock. "I mean, hot, I've gotten. I've had my ass slapped which is probably some kind of warped compliment, but. Never beautiful.

"Well you are. You really are," Barry asserted.

She grinned, "I love you."

"I know you do," Her eyes narrowed. "Fine, I love you too, Adley Rose Heap. Now, you ready to go?"

a/n: this was just meant to be a quick little cute badley chapter.  i had fun with it.  the episode will pick up next update (probably tomorrow or monday)