chapter seven

chapter seven;
wanderess

        "So Dr. Wells, you think she's healing again?" Caitlin stood with her clipboard that detailed Adley's vitals.

Harrison grinned. "I think it's very possible she's, 'recharged', so to speak. Speaking of charge, where's Barry?"

Adley leaned against a table, her arms crossed in front of her. "It's Barry. Late is kind of his trade." Adley tapped the toes of her boots together idly. The connection between the two increased as they became closer in proximity, something Adley had mastered now as well.  "Three, two, one."  

"Your countdown was better this time," Barry smirked at her, leaning against the table, too. "Boot tapping is new, but a nice added touch."

Adley looked at him, swerving her eyes to Dr. Wells before making a cut throat motion. "Good luck!" she chirped, bouncing off the table and going over to her newly established desk. There was nothing that really made it her desk, but the idea that it was hers made her feel special. It was where she checked for news articles, key word searching for "local" and "impossible", and where she checked up on Iris's blog, just to make sure nothing particularly bad was being posted.

Barry was speaking with Dr. Wells for approximately forty-eight seconds before Adley got a ping on her phone for a homicide. "Local" and "Impossible" both came up positive.

She stood up from her seat, walking over to the door. "Homicide." Her and Barry said in sync.

Barry rose from his chair, sending Harrison an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Dr. Wells, I've gotta go."

Wells sighed. "This isn't just about you, Barry. Remember that. Alright, Adley. Let's get to work."

Adley froze. "With what?"

"Your abilities. We're going to test them even further."

She grinned widely. "Brilliant."

"We're going to see if you can wander, that's Cisco's term not mine, without going unconscious. That's a bit of a flaw. Most of Barry's were eliminated within a few practice runs, so yours should be just as successful. We hope."

Adley scoffed. "Wander, Cisco? Really?"

"I like it." She gave Dr. Wells a skeptical look.

"I'm honored, Dr. Wells." Cisco made his way over to where Adley and Harrison were stood. "Meet the Wanderess."

Adley deadpanned, "Wanderess isn't a word."

"Adley get's auto-corrected in my phone." She glared at Cisco. "Sorry, very sorry."

Caitlin chuckled, sitting up. "Good. You've got Cisco scared."

"Wander, Adley," Harrison instructed, and Adley did as told. "Try to stay awake, keep in your consciousness, and slip into Caitlin's." She nodded, looking Caitlin in the eye.

"Mai-thais on the beach it is." Caitlin leaned over, kissing the man on the lips. The atmosphere was happy, celebratory. The particle accelerator, Adley thought.

"I love you, Ronnie," Caitlin whispered into the kiss. Suddenly the taste of the room changed, an alarm blaring from one of the computers.

"I have to go," Ronnie told Caitlin, dashing off.

Adley came to, Caitlin's shouting of Ronnie's name echoing through her head, bouncing around.

"Was that it?" Cisco asked. "You just blinked."

"Cait," Adley mumbled sadly, "I'm so sorry, I didn't.."