chapter twenty-eight

tired

        "Where's Barry?" Adley asked, collapsing against Joe's soft couch.

"He should be here any second," Joe answered, putting down a stack of paper plates on the table with napkins, "I sent him out for Pizza!"

"What?" Eddie looked up to see the flash of light that came with Barry, who had three boxes in hand.

"Coast Crust!" Adley shouted excitedly, grabbing a plate. Barry grinned at her happiness, though he missed the bubbly feeling in his stomach that he'd get whenever it happened.

"Supposedly the best in the west." Barry gestured to the pies.

"Trust me," Adley grinned, "It is." She took a piece from the box, placing it on a paper plate and leaning back into the couch. "God, tastes like childhood."

"Why did I not think of this before?" Cisco took a piece for himself, "Come to papa."

Barry looked up to Caitlin, who sat on the stairs behind the family room. "Caitlin?"

She shook her head, an exhausted look crossing her face, "I'm not hungry." It made Adley's pizza taste bad. She frowned, looking at the slice before putting it on the table.

"Pizza is ruined too," she grumbled kicking her boots onto the table.

"Okay, six months of investigating Harrison Wells has led us nowhere," Joe began, taking a bite, "so we're going back to the beginning to see what we can find out."

Adley quirked her head to one side, "What does that mean?"

"Road trip, baby," Cisco cheered, pumping his fist in the air.

"Joe and Cisco are going to go to Starling City," Barry translated.

"Starling City? What for?" Eddie asked.

Joe answered this question, "To investigate the car accident that Dr.Wells was in with Tess Morgan 15 years ago."

Eddie shook his head. "I- I don't understand. Why?"

"Dr. McGee said that after Wells's accident, he became like a complete stranger," Barry explained, "Just a different person entirely."

Caitlin rose angrily to her feet, "Because the love of his life died? You of all people can understand how grief can change a person."

Joe sighed, "Caitlin, we believe that Dr. Wells is the Reverse-Flash and killed Barry's mother, and he may have done the same thing to Tess Morgan. We have to learn everything we can about that night. See where it leads us."

Cisco, lovely-timed Cisco, rose to his feet, looking at Caitlin with puppy dog eyes. "Oh, um, can you cover for me with Dr. Wells?"

Caitlin narrowed her eyes. "You mean lie?" He nodded his head. "I need some air."

"Whoa hey, Caitlin," Barry tried, looking sadly as the girl left.

Adley jabbed her thumb toward the door, "Doesn't look like Caitlin's with us."

"No, she's with us," Barry sighed, frustrated, "I'll talk to her."

"No priors, no arrests, not even a speeding ticket." Eddie and Barry walked down the stairs of the CCPD, discussing the new case that interrupted the Wells investigation. "And everyone who knows this woman, coworkers, neighbors, say she's the kindest, nicest, most honest woman they've ever met.  So, unless she woke up this morning and out of nowhere decided to become a criminal Maybe we should be looking for a meta-human."