chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen;
only hope

       Adley pulled her Jeep into the parking lot of the closest store, unplugging her phone and putting it into her pocket.  She stepped out of the driver's side and immediately came face to face with Leonard Snart.

"Hey, Princess," he sneered, pulling up his goggles.

"What do you want?" Adley snapped.

"You," Snart replied menacingly, firing his gun at her Jeep. Adley immediately attacked him, Snart falling to the ground holding his head, but even with him down, someone grabbed her from behind, holding a cloth to her mouth until she was out cold.

"What is Adley's car doing here?" Barry asked before noticing the frost on the drivers side door.

"I think you know the answer to that." Nerves shook Barry to his bones.

"No," he whispered, "No. She's not gone this is some joke."

"It's not, Bare," Joe said softly.

"Well, we have to get her back!" Barry roared, suddenly enraged. Angry that he had talked himself out of this case until it was too late. Angry that somewhere Adley could be hurt and it would be his fault.

Him and Joe made their way to the station, the rage still filling his bones at how she had been taken.

"Joe!" Eddie came barreling down the stairs, "Joe! We got a hit. A second pair of prints. They belong to a Mick Rory."

"Who is he?" Barry breathed.

"Big time arsonist. He and Snart worked together on a job that went bad. Half of his body was burned in a fire that went out of control," Eddie explained. "He escaped from an ambulance on the way to the hospital and hasn't been seen since." They made it back to Eddie's desk, Thawne leaning against the wood and crossing his arms. "Why would they want to kidnap someone like Adley?"

Captain Singh suddenly emerged from his office. "Eddie, Joe, it's on every station." His tone wavered as he turned on the precinct television.

The sight was of Snart, but Barry could see Adley's Dr. Martens in the corner of the screen.

"Greetings, citizens of Central City. I am Leonard Snart. But you can call me cold. I'm gonna make this very simple for everyone. That red streak you've been hearing whispers about, the one mysteriously saving people these past few months? Well, surprise, he's real. He calls himself the Fla-" Snart was interrupted by a pounding ache in his head, causing him to collapse to the ground. An unconscious Rory could be seen splayed on the ground behind Adley, who moved closer to the camera.

She mock pouted. "Help me, Obi Wan Kanobe," she teased, "You're my only hope." She winked into the camera, before Snart was back on his feet.

"Dumb girl!" He yelled in anger, crashing something over her head. Barry felt the blow, but did everything he could to hide it.

"Dick!" She yelled from the ground, trying to lash out at him before he shut her up.

"As I was saying," Snart growled, "Porter and main, tonight, sundown.  Come out, come out, wherever you are, Flash.  Show the whole world you're real." He panned the camera down to the passed out Adley, zooming in on the blood pooling from the back of her head. "Or this woman dies." The feed cut, and Barry continued on, staring at the screen in horror.

"Your girlfriend, is kidnapped and put in mortal danger," Joe began.

"And she knocks out her captives before quoting Star Wars," Eddie finished.