Chapter 3

Jennie still couldn't believe it: a beautiful day ruined in the space of five minutes. Of course she had prepared herself for the idea of having to see Lisa again but the knowledge that the meeting had been postponed until the next day made her relax and believe that she still had time. She had convinced herself that nothing would happen that day and so the unexpected reunion in the car park took her completely by surprise. How boldly had she denied that she had blocked her number? With what arrogance had she allowed herself to judge her life and work? All the way home, made almost at a run, Jennie did nothing but mentally relive the discussion she had had with Lisa, word for word, expression for expression, feeling so much anger mounting inside her that the stomach ached.

She entered the house slamming the door ignoring Kuku who had gone to meet her to welcome her back. She continued to walk from room to room as if she had quicksilver on her without stopping to think about the conversation she had had and the possible different answers she could have given with the only result being to amplify even more the anger she was feeling: If she could have, she would have returned to that parking to slap Lisa in the face.

She paused taking a huge breath.

Okay, now calm down Jennie. You don't have to give her so much credit.... just calm down.

She did some respiration exercises until she felt her breathing slowly stabilise. Despite the time of the day, she was not hungry at all so she decided to fill the tub: a hot bath is always the csolution to all problems like had always told her the analyst during all her years in therapy. This was one of the reasons why, in her new home, Jennie had decided to have a room just for the bathtub and it was also the reason why she had insisted that it be recessed into the floor next to a huge window: looking at the Seoul skyline always had a calming effect on her. She decided to light a few scented candles and place them beside the huge wooden hot tub flush with the floor. Just hearing the flowery scent wafting through the air and the sound of the roaring water that was pooling in the tub, Jennie was already feeling better, her mind already beginning to feel lighter. She undressed as if it were a ritual and slowly immersed herself, letting her body gradually get used to the warm temperature of the water. She turned her gaze to the panoramic window overlooking the city: the sky was a deep orange color with blue streaks.

Jennie focused her mind on the muscles sore from the day's training and, continuing to take deep cadenced breaths, closed her eyes, relaxing the whole body. A wonderful sense of peace spread through the chest as she ran her fingers over the surface of the water and felt her mind become light and muffled. She was softly stroking the outline of the pool until it felt like she was brushing against a meadow of daisies. They were so fragrant, soft and frothy to the touch that Jennie felt like she was lying in the middle of them, completely enveloped in their scent and softness. A feeling of calmness and well-being made its way through her whole being. She slowly looked up and, in the deep blue sky that seemed to have materialized above her, she saw the first stars of the evening appear. She imagined herself joining the dots, lazily moving her index finger across the ceiling of the sky to draw constellations never discovered before when a hand appeared and gently took hers, intertwining their fingers. Jennie turned her head in amazement at the presence of someone else and saw Lisa smiling at her with big, shining eyes, her dark hair loose and swaying in the summer wind. They exchanged a silent glance then Lisa's smile slowly gave way to a more serious expression as she gradually brought her face closer and closer. Jennie felt a sensation of warmth branch off in her chest but, as soon as she felt the contact of their lips, she jerked abruptly, waking up from her numbness and widely spilling water from the rim of the bathtub. Her heart was pounding furiously in her chest and, on instinct, Jennie immediately brought a hand to her mouth to soothe the pressing, burning sensation she was feeling on her lips.