Chapter 9

"Jennie, this is an intervention."

It was not the first time she heard that phrase.

It had started out as a game, as a nice way of pointing out annoying habits so as to make living together as peaceful as possible, like Rosé's bad habit of squeezing toothpaste in the middle, or Lisa's irritating custom of leaving the milk bottle outside the refrigerator, or Jisoo's fixation of constantly creating puns, especially with their names.

Then, over time and when necessary, interventions had also had more serious purposes, as when they had had to intervene on Lisa's gullible habit of trusting everyone - her smile had never faded but Jennie knew that her manager's betrayal had scarred her - or when Rosé missed her family so much that she spent every night in her room alone singing Adèle - initially the others let her do but at the hundredth time the notes of Someone Like You started up they would gladly pull their ears off - or about Jisoo's stubbornness in wanting to spend every free day in bed playing videogames without doing anything else -she needed it to clear her mind, she said.

The last intervention was in 2022.

They had just started their last world tour before disbanding but there was a problem: a cold war was going on between Lisa and Rosé, and fans had noticed that something was wrong with their interactions on stage. That evening Jisoo and Jennie arranged a dinner just for the four of them to address the problem, and it was quite amusing to see how Lisa only needed to mistake one word in her - obligatory - apology speech to Rosé to smooth over any discussion.

Jennie, on the other hand, only heard it twice: when she had bought an embarrassing amount of the same clothes but in different sizes to be prepared for any weight fluctuations she might experience - oscillations that, of course, never happened - and when she had developed an addiction to stickers - although to this day, if you asked her, she would answer that sticking them on all the useful surfaces of her room had given the house a personal touch.

This was her third time and something told her that, that day, a simple "okay I won't do it again" would not be enough.

"Now you tell us what the hell is going on and explain what is the problem." Jisoo's tone was resolute as she positioned herself in front of Jennie so that she could not escape.

"Why don't you ask Lisa?" she asked dismissively without lowering the gaze.

"Do you really think we haven't do it?" replied Jisoo immediately, completely shutting down Jennie's boldness. "Oh, yes... she said exactly what you're thinking... but I want to hear it from your voice" the grin that had formed on Jisoo's face seemed the epitome of awareness.

A chill ran down Jennie's spine.

She knows.

She knows everything.

Jennie stopped breathing.

How could she know? Was it possible that Lisa had broken the promise they had made to each other that night?

She tried to think of when Lisa might have told them and surely, if she had to base herself on the events that had happened so far, it had been after the reunion begun.

Like a flash, she reminded of that day at the bar when she ran into them during the jogging session. She remembered that, before she reached them and joined them, they had a serious look on their faces as if they were talking about something important...would that be the moment when Lisa had confessed everything?

A sense of disappointment pervaded her at the thought but, at the same time, she thought that, after all, she might have deserved it: why would Lisa keep it a secret after all that had not happened between them in the last few years?