Chapter 6

When Jennie arrived at the club it was already crowded and the evening was already in full swing. Hyunji's message from the afternoon had come as a lifesaver on her way home giving Jennie a thought to focus on that was not Lisa, Lisa and more Lisa.

It had only taken a few vidwall and the unexpected encounter at the bar to destroy all of Jennie's resolutions to live out the day totally ignoring her existence. Not to mention the memory that had resurfaced in a way that was sharply cruel enough to feel melancholy drip into her chest ... or the look Lisa had given her after saying hi to Kuma: it was unclear why she had looked at her that way, as if she wanted to analyze her from head to toe and then not even say a word but Jennie felt that it had definitely not been done with good intentions.

Just imagining the possible scenarios she felt her anger boiling over.

"Wow Jennie you look great!" came Hyunji's voice behind her back. "Is it good for you to be a Blackpink again or what?" asked her with a smile and then hugged her.

Jennie smiled back. Hyunji had become one of her dearest friends since the group's disbandment and seeing her again after weeks of relentless rehearsals was a relief: the girl standing in front of her, squeezed into a trademark black sheath dress with her brown hair up, was part of the comfort zone in which Jennie had been happy to lay down for the past few years.

"How is rehearsal going?" asked Hyunji, taking her by the arm and leading her to the table she had reserved.

Jennie took a glass of champagne and sat down: it was a small elevated private room overlooking the barroom. It was a rather exclusive pub with a sophisticated design and, over the years, had become a familiar place for evenings with her friends.

"Where are the others?" asked Jennie as she looked around.

"They'll catch up with us later but now you have to tell me everything."

Jennie gave a small smile and began to recount the return to the rehearsal room, how she didn't know how but she expected Mrs. Potato to still be there, how every corner of that reharsal room reminded her of something, how getting back to work with Jisoo and Rosé had been unexpectedly good and how meeting Lisa again had been more destabilizing and irritating than expected.

The subject of Lisa had been left for last but, once it was touched, Jennie became a river in flood: she told Hyunji everything that had happened and that they had said to each other in full detail, not leaving out even the slightest expression nor the interpretations that Jennie, each time, gave to Lisa's behaviors never failing to comment on them by cursing her for that attitude or the other.

Hyunji let her speak listening attentively. She understood Jennie's need to vent but, more than anything else, seeing her speak in that excited way as she raised her fists to the sky in thinking back to that look or that damn Lisa's,smirk she thought that if she didn't let her do it she would have burst out right there in front of her because of how full of livor, nervousness, stress...and who knows what else she was.

"Okay Lisa acted like a bitch but something must have happened right? You used to be close friends..." she tried to comment in a moment of pause from Jennie's curses in an attempt, yet another, to figure out what had happened between the two girls. It had been since they had approached each other as friends that she had been trying to understand why the relationship between Jennie and Lisa had ended so abruptly but had never had an answer except vague and evasive phrases. That evening, too, was no different, so, getting, once again, no reaction from Jennie, who had merely stiffened and let her gaze wander elsewhere, she tried to get her attention again. "Have you seen how cute Liam is?" she asked causing Jennie to turn sharply in her direction.