Chapter 12

"Tell me again how your diabolical plan failed miserably and backfired on you."

Hyunji struggled to keep a straight face and could not hold back her laughter as she asked Jennie to tell again and again how things had turned out.

"You're not helping me." Puffed Jennie pouting and clutching the steaming cup of coffee in her hands.

"C'mon Jen, admit it's funny!" she laughed again. "I would have liked too much to see your face" she let out yet another roaring laugh.

Jennie rolled her eyes annoyed at her friend's teasing.

After the performance, everyone continued to compliment her while Jisoo and Rosé did nothing but giggle while discussing whether to dismiss what happened as "evidence" or "fact" and alternately pointing to her, who had been in a catatonic state for most of the day, and Lisa, who carefully avoided commenting on the matter.

Once the rehearsal was over, she had asked Hyunji to meet so that she could vent but seeing her react like that, after the tale that Jennie considered a tragic denouement of a brilliant plan, had given her the certainty that instead of consoling, Hyunji would gladly join them.

"Hey you didn't do that on purpose, right?" she suddenly asked right after taking a sip of the herbal tea as if she had an epiphany.

Jennie's eyes widened in shock. "Do you think I ruin my life on purpose?"

"Uh what an exaggeration! There's worse than have to dance with Lisa..." he replied, patting her arm. "It's just, you know, that whole thing about taking revenge of her just because she said she remembered you looking better" Paused. "It almost seems like it bothered you that she didn't like you."

Jennie looked at her incredulously.

"It bothers me that she allowed herself to judge me." Retorted immediately, confident in her position.

"Since when do you care what other people think?" Hyunji pressed on, since she had met Jennie this was the first time she cared so much about another person's opinion.

"I-it's a matter of principle." Jennie's voice was slightly uncertain and this did not escape her friend's notice.

"Ah okay..." humored her. "so if I were to tell you that I thought you were prettier last year when you had red hair would you set up a plan to seduce me and prove to me that you are pretty now too?" asked her with a hint of provocation.

"Those are completely different things." Jennie continued undaunted to entrench herself behind her motives, taking wide sips from her cup.

"It doesn't seem to me..." Hyunji paused as if thinking. "It's not that you like Lisa?" asked her finally narrowing her eyes inquiringly.

Jennie began to cough spitting out the coffee she was drinking comically widening her eyes making it very difficult for Hyunji not to burst out laughing in her face.

"N-No..." said with difficulty while continuing to cough insistently. Then, seeing the other girl's amused expression, she grimaced. "It seems I can hear Jisoo," she muttered with annoyance.

"Anyway, if you really don't want to dance with Lisa, I have to do a commercial with Lee Soo Hyuk." Hyunji continued. "If you want, let's switch."

Jennie looked at her as if she had told the most absurd thing in the world.

Lee Soo Hyuk was one of the most beautiful and most sought-after models of the moment, really Hyunji would trade a commercial with him to do a solo dance with Lisa?