Chapter 2, with friends like these

The pain you felt was worse than you ever thought could happen, it was like suffocating.
You were half hunched over the table, trying desperately to hold yourself up as you gasped for air.
Garreth was foot deep in a story about exploding a potion on Professor Sharp who, though annoyed, was absolutely covered in multicolored goop, that kept changing his hair color every time he spoke.
Just imagining it sent you into another fit of laughter.
"I can't imagine he was happy about that," Natty whispered in shock.
"He had to go to nurse Blainey and then to my aunt to stop his hair from changing colors. She wasn't happy with me and threatened to expel me if I didn't stop with my brews until I was caught up on homework."
"Well, maybe the rest of us can go one potion class without being exploded," Amit replied irritably.
Snickering, you finally calmed down, having to wipe your eyes clear of tears.
"Thank you Garreth, I needed a good laugh."
He beamed and gave a slight bow. "To be honest, it did look like it. You've been exceptionally on edge lately."
You gave a shrug, your eyes falling to the foam in your butterbeer. "Just having trouble sleeping."
"Why not take a sleeping draught then?" Leander asked, already pulling on from his robes and holding it out.
"Do I want to know why you're keeping one on hand?"
He chuckled. "I have chronic insomnia too. One of the habits of studying all night."
"Shouldn't you keep that then?"
He chuckled. "Not to worry, I have loads."
Giving a smile, you took the vial from him. "Thank you Leander."
He nodded as I stowed it away in my pocket.
Maybe I'll use it tonight to get more rest.

    I barely walked into the castle before I saw Ominis and Sebastian arguing nearby.
Shaking my head, I moved to head towards my common room, but I barely made it three steps before Sebastian moved over with Ominis glaring at his back.
"Hey, now that you're done with your plans, can we talk?"
Sighing, you knew that you wouldn't be able to avoid this for much longer.
"Fine Sebastian, say what you need to."
Taken back by your tone, he took a step back as Ominis moved over.
"Why are you so closed off? I've apologized-"
"No, you just said the words so I would continue to help you," you replied softly, trying to keep your voice even. "If you were sorry, you wouldn't keep doing this."
"Doing what?"
The scowl rose to his face again.
"Continue this knowing I'm avoiding this conversation. Knowing this whole damn thing is making me exhausted."
"Fine, I get it, don't get prissy about your goblin friend-"
You almost strangled him. "It's not about Lodgok, this is about you and your manipulation," you hissed, getting Ominis's face to morph into surprise. "You know I didn't want to do anything involving...you know what...after the scriptorium and you keep dragging me into it. Then get angry when I reiterate why I didn't want to be a part of it. I can't walk down this road with you. I'm sorry, but I can see where it leads."
He crossed his arms over his chest. "And where does it lead?"
"With one of us dead," you answered honestly, startling both of them.
"If we run scared about what could happen-"
"You're seriously willing to sacrifice one of us to research the dark arts?" You asked coldly, getting Ominis to shift on his feet.
"It's not- this is to save Anne. You know that." He growled.
"So, you'd be perfectly fine if Ominis or I, or both, die in exchange?"
"Now you're just being dramatic."
Shaking your head, you took a step back, seeing Sebastian's stance fall as he moved to reach out to you but stopped himself.
"Fine, go. I don't need you. I can do this on my own."
He moved to leave as Ominis stayed beside me.
"I know you don't think this is the right path, but in the end, the dark arts only end in pain."
You nodded as your throat burned, heart twisted with guilt. "I know."
His head turned towards me as I sighed shakily.
"Let's hope he doesn't learn it too."
"Too?"
You nodded again as you felt your nose tickling, before I looked at him. "You're not the only one who has been at the mercy of someone who knows those spells."
As his mouth dropped as he heard the building emotions in your voice, you moved to leave.
You'd made sure not to tell anyone about what happened.

      Sebastian decided to leave you alone after that and slowly you began to worry about the keeper trials and your homework.
It wasn't until an owl arrived from Ominis that changed everything.
You raced to the crypt as fast as you could, nearly running into Ominis and Anne, the latter left quickly saying about how she was going to get help. Not that you could worry about that while battling your way through the crypt to get to Sebastian.
He wasn't surprised to see you, as if he expected it.
"Isn't it fantastic? I can help Anne now."
"How is controlling shamblers going to help your sister?" You asked, keeping your wand out at the closest inferius.
"I can control the curse now," he said happily.
Warning bells rang loudly in your head as you stared at his face. He was already so lost in the dark arts, he couldn't see that he wasn't helping anyone like this.
"Sebastian, please stop this."
He waved his hand around. "Stop? I'm closer than ever to saving Anne and you want me to stop?"
"What have you done?"
You jumped at Solomon's voice as he accio-ed the relic from Sebastian's hands and destroyed it.
Instantly the inferius turned on you and a fight broke out.
Not wanting to get in the middle of their family matters, you focused on the shamblers. Trying to widdle down their numbers, but more just kept coming.
"Avada Kadavra!"
Your blood drained from your face as you turned seeing Solomon enveloped in green before he fell to the ground.
"Seba-"
Fire spread through the area, destroying the inferius easily.
My eyes moved to Anne just before she cast at her brother, knocking him backwards into me.
Stunned, you didn't even notice Sebastian was laying against you as you watched Anne vanish with Solomon.
I glanced at the side of his face, seeing guilt and pain twisting the features.
"We need to go," you said, already pushing him to his feet.
When you started, you didn't hear him following, so you raced back and shoved him towards the exit.
It was only then that you realized his wand was on the ground. Before you could tell him, he raced out of the crypt.
Stowing it with yours, you chased after him.
He started pacing once outside the crypt, though you heard him talking, you were focused on his body language and if he seemed remorseful.
He just seemed scared and confused about what to do, then left before you could give his wand back.

    Ominis met you as you entered Feldcroft.
"Anne's devastated, she said Sebastian killed Solomon." His brows pinched together as you gave a heavy sigh. "He did, didn't he?"
"Yeah, he did, but Solomon wasn't backing down either. That doesn't excuse him, he could have knocked Solomon out instead, but-"
"I understand and I'm sorry about asking you to come here tonight. Maybe it would have been better if I didn't involve you."
We began to walk towards Solomon's house. I didn't know what to say or what I could do to make this tragedy less painful. A
"Then Sebastian might have been killed instead," you reminded as you rubbed your forehead.
"Anne thinks we should turn him in, but can't do it herself and I-" He dropped his head, the toll taking a lot out of him.
Anne looked over as Ominis walked into the house, though I was a little reluctant, she greeted me with a weak smile.
"I'm so sorry Anne."
She nodded as she sat in the closest chair. "I am too. I'm not sure I can forgive him and he should be punished for what he's done, right?"
After a moment, you realized they were staring at you for advice.
"I can't decide this," you whispered meekly as you moved to across from Anne. "The situation's too messy. Did Sebastian need to go that far? I don't think so, but the killing curse? Then Solomon wouldn't stop attacking either. The inferius didn't make it easier either."
"In your opinion," Anne started.
"I can't make this choice. I quite literally can't." You rubbed you face harshly, the pit in your stomach now eating away at your chest cavity. "The situations are too close."
Ominis caught that whisper and leaned closer. "What situations?" When I didn't answer, he urged further. "Didn't you say you were at the mercy of someone who knew the curses too?"
Anne's eyes widened, before grief over took them again.
"I was," you whispered.
Anne, upon noticing they weren't going to get anything more from you, looked to Ominis. "Sebastian won't stop this path until something makes him stop."
Ominis nodded, though he wasn't too happy about everything. "Alright, I will go to Professor Black and tell him everything."
"I think this is a rash decision due to fresh pain and emotions," you whispered, not that they seemed to hear you or ignored it.