04. just a bruise

I RUBBED MY EYES clean of sleep, turning over to find an empty spot next to me

I RUBBED MY EYES clean of sleep, turning over to find an empty spot next to me. i must've woken up late because i'm always up before chris now.

last time was my first night of actually sleeping good. maybe it was the fact of me and glenn talking all night. by the end of it my social battery was gone.

i learned a lot about the boy though. it made me feel comforted to have someone else to talk to about personal issues besides chris. he actually listened to and tried understanding me.

i smiled at the memory of a part of our conversation, slipping out of my camping bag to get ready.

i pulled on a pair of blue jeans along with a white tank top knowing how hot it's been recently. atlanta doesn't play in the summer time.

just as i was about to brush through my hair. kids screaming echoed in the distance, sounding more serious than playful.

"shit" i murmured, replacing the brush with my gun before exiting my tent. running towards where the commotion was coming from.

"carsyn!" glenn yelled, catching my attention as he pointed to where my dad and rick were running to. we both followed through the trees. stopping when we found a walker, gnawing on a deer.

i cringed, placing my gun in the back of my pants before taking the hoe glenn held out for me. my dad took the first hit at the walker, the rest following.

i just took a step back, watching as the scene unraveled. i knew it had to be easier to kill them than five men going bat shit on one.

"it's the first one we've had up here. they never come this far up the mountain" dale huffed, stepping back after the walker was put down.

"well, they're running out of food in the city, that's what" jim answered, causing me to nod. the way they took out the horse showed how hungry they were.

"hey, you okay?" a new voice asked, making me turn my head to find chris now joining the rest of us.

i nodded, pointing to the walker on the ground, "yeah, just the fact that we're now gonna be hunted. the walkies are getting hungry for some walsh blood and guts"

"carsyn" my dad reprimanded, shaking his head at me which only caused me to shrug.

he opened his mouth to say something else but stopped as the trees behind him started to rustle. we all grabbed our weapons, raising them for what was about to come next.

"son of a bitch!" a familiar voice called out, earning an eye roll from me already knowing who it was, "that's my deer. look at it all gnawed on by this filthy, disease bearing, motherless proxy bastard!"

dale scoffed as daryl repeated kicked the walker body, "calm down, son. that's not helping"

"what do you know about it old man?" daryl barked, moving towards dale to get into his face, "why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to on golden pond?"