27. coming back to you

I SAT ON THE BED following the light as hershel had instructed me to do

I SAT ON THE BED following the light as hershel had instructed me to do. i watched it go into a circle, from side to side, and then up and down.

he sighed, turning it off before grabbing some alcohol and a rag, "you have a minor concussion— that'd be two since your car accident. another one wouldn't be good for your health so try and avoid that."

i hissed, feeling him lightly touch my open wound on my lip. he sent me an assuring smile before continuing. he already took a look at my stomach, informing me that there shouldn't be any internal damage which was good.

since i hadnt lost any vision, my eye should heal fine too, "the bruises will look cool at least. make it look like i got into a good fight."

"you did and the fact that you're still standing here today shows that you won" he started, moving the rag to remove any of the dried blood from the rest of my face, "i'm proud of you, carsyn. you're a tough cookie"

i shook my head, looking up at the older man, "don't let me fool you— i just broke down in chris arms... i was being a coward by doing that."

he chuckled, replacing the cloth with a warm cup of water. holding it out for me to grab, "you showed that you were still human... crying will make you feel better anyway."

i smirked, nodding my head as i came to an agreement with him. a shadow in the doorway caused my eyes to flicker up, seeing glenn looking better than before after hershel had fixed him up.

i thought he would say something but he only just tilted his head at me before moving away. i gulped, picking at the skin around my fingers.

"you two alright?"

i shrugged, puffing out a breath, "he's just angry about what happened and i can't say anything that'll change that."

hershel nodded, placing a over mine, "i just don't think he likes seeing you hurt... i don't know what happened out there but you guys went through it together. you need to lean on each other more than anything right now."

"thank you, hershel" i forced a smile, looking back up to him. he nodded, removing his hands from mine before standing up, "you're like daughter to me, carsyn. i would do anything for you."

i watched as he made his way out of my cell, leaving me by myself for the first time. i started to lay down to take a nap but paused when i saw quinn in the doorway with the baby in her hands.

"you can lay down— i was just thinking since she needed a nap that she could join you." she started, causing me to nod opening my arms for the baby, "maybe she can lift your spirits a bit"

i smiled, laying the baby down next to me. she must've been really tired because all i had to do was sooth her head and rub her tummy and she was out.

i let out a low chuckle, admiring her for a moment before looking up to quinn who watched us intently.