36. we fight. we survive. we stay.

THE SOUND OF screaming caused my body to jolt awake

THE SOUND OF screaming caused my body to jolt awake. my body going into fight or flight mode as my eyes scanned the room. i pushed myself up, feeling my joints screaming at me to lay back down. though, i could sense something was wrong.

i didn't know how long i had been asleep for or why everything had felt better except for my throat— maybe i was getting better after all. maybe i would survive. along with glenn and everyone else.

i threw my feet over the bed, my hands gripping onto the metal posts of the bed for support as i shuffled my way to the locked cell door— looking out to see what had been wrong.

"hershel!" i yelled gruffly, my voice sounding strangled and lost.

my eyes fell upon many faces in the cells across from me, their eyes lifeless as blood streamed from their eyes and growls escaped their throats.

"oh god... shit" i muttered, moving my hands to grip the cell door, using all my force to rock it back and forth to try and get it open, "hershel! hershel, what's happening?!"

just as i spoke, a gunshot sounded a distance away followed by the sound of shattering glass. my eyes shot to where the cell entrance was, soon seeing chris and maggie enter with concerned faces.

chris immediately moved to my cell door, checking out the lock before reaching down to grab his gun, "move back, i'm going to get you out of there"

i nodded my head, immediately complying as he raised his gun. a shot echoed off the walls, the lock breaking into pieces as he yanked the door open— immediately grabbing for me.

"daddy!" maggie yelled, turning our attention to the second floor where hershel struggled against a walker.

maggie raised her gun, about to pull the trigger to save her father— until he turned his head to find us, panicking at the sight of her gun, "no! you could hit the bag. we need it for glenn."

my heart dropped at the mention of glenn, my fight instincts kicking in as i ripped myself out of my brothers hold. making a bolt up the stairs as i yelled down to maggie, "shoot it, save your dad!"

my body burned as i gripped onto the railing, practically pulling myself up the stairs. once i reached the loft, my head moved back and forth— trying to spot where glenn was.

the sound of heaving caught my attention, turning my body to the corner where glenn laid struggling to breath. i swung myself around, limping to where he was before collapsing on the ground beside him.

i pulled his face into my lap, my worry setting in seeing his face turning blue, "hershel, he can't breath! what do i do?"

"roll him on his back and hold his arms down" the older man instructed, dropping beside me with a ambu bag in his hands.

i nodded, cringing as i moved to straddle him. holding his arms down with all my strength. he fought against my grip causing me to struggle. thankfully chris rushed into the cell, immediately jumping to aid me with glenn.