Some explaining (Act 1, Chapter 3)

Come on Mia. You can escape. I just need to steal the device from the master's free hand as I slip out. There is just one problem. The master is stronger than me and one wrong move could end up with me dead. I suppose I should give it a go. I'm dead anyway if I don't try. As I take a deep breath I muster as much strength as I can as I bring my foot up. I know it is risky but I have no choice. I'm dead either way. I launch my heel into the master's foot. In a fit of anger, the master throws me to the ground. With me, free Kate takes the opportunity to knock the master out cold. I also use the opportunity to snatch the device from his hands.

"Mia, is there anywhere safe that we can hide?" Yas asks. I can sense the panic in her voice. At least the alarms have stopped blaring which means I can think clearly.

"Yes but since the labs are in lockdown there is no way that we can get out once I close the door," I pointed out the massive elephant in the room.

"Well the master can't get in," Yas retorts. That is true. Well, I have no choice. I lead the trio to the main laboratory. As soon as the last one comes in I close the door. Well, this is it. Now we wait. That is unless the master finds a way. I quickly move towards my desk. I grab the container containing the sample of black sludge that I was looking at yesterday. I notice that the sludge is a little more lively. For some reason, I discreetly lock it in my work area's drawers. I find myself glancing between Yas, Kate and the doctor.

'What are we going to do now?" Kate brings up the obvious question.

"We are going to work out the master's plan. He's always got a plan. It's just that I usually stop it," The doctor responds. She soon falls into deep thought. To be honest the only thing in Porton Down that a psychopath would want is the bio and chemical weapons that are stored here. However, they are in a completely different area. Both the doctor and I start pacing up and down the hallway. Kate and Yas are watching on like we are idiots. I come to an abrupt stop. Maybe I am an idiot.

"I think he is after information or rather the thing that contains the info," I announce.

"What do you mean?" Kate asks. She is baffled. I reach in the draw below the sludge.

"Before I joined UNIT I was working for CERN and I was working on antimatter research. My boss accidentally discovered a way to weaponize the stuff so he ordered the destruction of all of the information except for one hard drive. Which he gave to me since I was his second in command," I explained the situation as I grabbed a hard drive. I passed it to the doctor.

"Couldn't he get the information from your old boss directly?" Yas asks.

"No, he passed away," I say as I find myself reflecting on the events of that day.

I am currently watching over my boss. He hasn't been given long to live and that has created an interesting problem. My boss has the only copy of the design specs of what could be the most dangerous weapon. That is if it gets into the wrong hands.

"Mia, If you're worried about the hard drive take it. It's in the draws. Besides, I've been meaning to give it to you anyway," My boss says. My eyes go wide. There is no way on this planet that he'd trust me enough with such a world-changing weapon. Sure I'm his second in command but there is a reason why he destroyed every other version of the information. With his permission, I took the hard drive from his bedside drawers.

"Make sure no one gets their hands on the hard drive," My boss emphasised his point.

"I will. That's a promise," I responded. It's a promise that I intend to keep. There is something telling me that I should destroy it when I get home.

I am pulled out of my thoughts by an almost deafening crash. I look through the small window on the door to find the master trying to get his way in with the help of the black sludge.

"I know you have what I want," The master calls out via the intercom.

"I'm not going to give it to you that easily," I responded. I have to keep my promise. Besides, it's going to take him a while to get in. It is at that moment I notice something off about the doctor. Everyone else can see it too. The look of concern on her face.

"Doctor, what's wrong?" Yas is the first to ask.

"It all makes sense now. The master was trying to get close to Mia to get the hard drive. Not even my people have a working concept for an antimatter weapon. He will stop at nothing to get the information on that device. Even murder," The doctor announces. That explains Claire's disappearance. With that information, I find the heaviest thing that I can move.

"I knew I should've destroyed it when I got it," I snatched the hard drive from the doctor. I throw it on the ground. I glance at Kate for permission. She nods. As I lift the object over my head the doctor moves to stop me however she is too late. I throw the object on the hard drive, smashing it into bits.

"Hey master, is this what you are after?" I show him what is left of the hard drive. I can see the look of rage on his face. I know what this means.

"Why did you do that? We could've used the hard drive as a bragging tool," The doctor scolds me. She's right but I don't want the information in the hands of a lunatic. There is something else that I am not telling the doctor. Since I knew the information was going to be destroyed I memorised the specs.