What now (Act 1, chapter 4)

A\N I'm giving this chapter a trigger warning as it contains the master torturing Mia. Please feel free to skip the ending to this part if it makes you uncomfortable. Since this is an author's note please remember to vote and/or comment if you are enjoying this story  

Never in my life, I would have thought my research at CERN would catch up to me. I thought I buried it in the past. That's why I moved to UNIT once my old boss ceased the antimatter research. My mind is working a million miles to make sense of what is really happening. All I know is that a man calling himself the master wants the specs of a device that we designed. Only I've destroyed one of two places where the information is stored. That means if he wants the specs he'll have to get to me and that will take some time. After all, Porton Down is locked down.

"Why did you do that? We could've used the hard drive as a bragging tool," The doctor scolds me. She is clearly unhappy with my actions.

"You said it yourself, doctor. The weapon is dangerous. There is no point in letting the master gain access to it," Yas tries to reason with the doctor. As the back and forth between the doctor and Yas goes on I find myself looking for one of the food stores.

"Over here," Kate remarks as if she read my mind. As I make my way to her a look comes across my face. This is all my fault. I should have disappeared when I had the chance. I hold my head in shame.

"Hey, Mia what's wrong?" Kate decides to check on me.

"It's all my fault. I'm going to surrender myself to the master," I say as I open the hatch to one of the food stores. Kate's eyes widened at my statement. I quickly grab something sweet. As soon as I rip the packet off and start nibbling on it.

"You can't he'll kill you," Kate tries to talk me out of it while I nibble on my snack. The thing is I am not going to back down. My past has caught up with me and I can't stop running.

"I've got no choice. Doctor, I have a plan but you're not going to like it," I turn my attention to the doctor and Yas. The good thing is they are now no longer bickering between themselves.

"What is it?" The doctor asks.

"I have to surrender to the master. The thing is I memorised the specs of the weapon which means the master will keep me alive. You'll come after me right?" I informed her of my plan. I realise that I am putting a lot of faith in someone I've just met, however, if the stories are true then I'm in safe hands. The doctor nods. It is at that moment the sludge finally breaks down the door. It is at that moment that I come face to face with the master. A smirk crosses his face. He already knows that he needs me alive.

"I'll go with you on one condition," Those words tremble from my mouth.

"First give me the device you took from me," He retorts. The hatred is clear in his voice. I reluctantly grab it out of my pocket. With a deep breath, I hand it to him.

"Ok, what's your condition?" He adds now that I have done what he asked. I find it a little odd that he is even bothering to let me speak. He could easily get rid of everyone else.

"You let Yas, Kate and the doctor go," I sternly responded.

"Ok then. I got what I wanted anyway," For some reason, the master is cheerful about this predicament.

"One last thing, don't bother coming after us doctor," The master threatens as he grabs me by the arm. I look over my shoulder to find a look of determination on the doctor's face. She mouths something as the master drags me away. As we walk past the main work area the master terminates the lockdown from the control panel that was used to activate it. He quickly drags me to a door that I have never noticed before. It dawns on me that it must be the door to his TARDIS. With a quick shove, I am in.

"What do you want with the information that I have?" I find myself asking even though I am not going to get a straight answer.

"I want to end the universe and antimatter is the best way to do that," he says as he fiddles with various switches. After a few seconds, we are finally underway. The master soon turns his attention to me. He seems a little out of his depths. I think this must be the first time that he has taken a prisoner that's lasted more than a minute. I notice a look on the master's face that suggests that he has some idea of a plan.

"I know for a fact that you are not going to freely give me the information that I need so I'll have to resort to torture. It will be messy but it will be worth it," The master remarks. He is clearly enjoying the idea. Well, I guess this is it. I reluctantly follow him to a chamber off to the side of the main console. After a brief tussle, the master has me strapped to a solid metal chair.

"You should be aware that I am not going to give up that easily," I definitely remark. However deep down I am scared. Scared of what's going to happen. Knowing the master he is going to have the patience to keep going forever.

"Oh, I know. That's why I'm going to bring you so close to death to the point that you would wish to die," He says before flicking some switches. A surge of energy flows through my body causing excruciating pain. I cry out in pain. I will never relent. I'd rather die before I give up the information. The convulsions rocking my body stop as the master flicks the off switch.

"So what do you have to tell me?" He prompts as I catch my breath.

"I could do this all day," Despite my courage or stupidity my voice is weak. I am tired already. Another surge of energy flows through my body. This time I try my best to hold my screaming. I can't afford to give the master the satisfaction of hearing my screams.