Chapter 9

I put my hair in a messy bun, cursing as the elastic snaps and hits my hand.

"Swearing is bad for your health." Jay says, brushing his teeth next to me, his toothpaste all over his lips and part of his cheek.

"And so are these ponytails." I say, grabbing another one, get frustrated as again, this one snaps too.

I look at the broken ponytails in my hand, "I'm so disappointed in you." I say, throwing it away and grabbing a very stretched out pony, wrapping it around my hair and nodding satisfied.

I look at Jay, "Guess I get to be mom for the day." I whisper, grabbing a wash clothes and wiping off his face. Kissing his nose.

Jay laughs and takes the washcloth from me, throwing it in the laundry hamper.

I jump up on the counter, blocking his view in the mirror, "Is something wrong?" I ask, looking up at him, playing around on my phone.

My phone dings, signaling I have a text message.

From: Unknown Sender

Hey, this is Matt. I heard that you switched out of Trig. And by heard, I mean Mr. Parsons told me and by that I mean, my dad told me. You seemed like you knew the stuff we were learning. Why did you leave?

"Jay, you're a guy so I can ask you this. What makes a guy text a girl at... 10:21 asking them why they changed their math class?" I ask, moving so he can look in the mirror.

Jay looks at me and takes my phone, turning it off and putting it on a shelf I can't reach, "Because he likes the girl and doesn't have any other conversation starter." He says very dully, his voice cutting like a blunt knife.

"Oh." I whisper quietly, standing on the counter, trying to reach my phone.

"Don't do that, you're going to fall." Jay says, trying to get me down.

"Well I know you're not going to-

"HOPE!" Jay yells, catching me as I slide off the counter top, my head hitting the shelf and a small, but heavy picture frame falling on me.

"I need to listen to you more often." I whisper, gently touching my head where it hit the shelf, my fingers coming away red.

Jay grabs a wash cloth, my dad running into the bathroom, "I heard a crash!" He says in a panic.

"She was trying to grab her phone off the shelf and slipped." Jay says, quickly getting the cloth wet and pressing it gently to my head.

I try to listen to their conversation the bed I can, only getting a few words out of every sentence.

"Abbie! Call Taylor!" My dad yells, helping Jay move me from the bathroom and lay me in the hallway.

He grabs a small flash light, shining it in my eyes, making me squint and he gently holds them open.

"I'll call Aden to watch the kids." My mom says, phoning my oldest brother.

I look at Jay, his head directly above mine, "Stars." I whisper, suddenly feeling sleeping and slightly incoherent.

"Stay with me." Jay says, knowing exactly what I am talking about.

---FlashBack---

Jay and I had been working hard working undercover in a human trafficking case. We had "let" ourselves get kidnapped, knowing that the men in charge wouldn't be able to resist two kids walking in the middle of the night.

"Hope, can you hear me?" My mom asked, my ear piece surgically hidden inside my ear canal.

I look at Jay, knowing he heard what my mom just said too, very annoyed with her.