|Redeem| [Minor Spoilers: CH 24]

"..."

Lloyd gazed upon the wooden sword that was displayed in the middle of Javier's room. It was the same wooden sword that the actual Lloyd broke. 

...

He always wondered what sort of person the actual Lloyd was. His personality wasn't thoroughly explained in the novel, and it seems like he was only mean for the sake of being mean; just to propel the main protagonist forward. 

Yet... 

"What do you need here, my lord?"

Lloyd, as Kim Suho, stared at the Knight of the novel. 

It's not like he would ever go as far as what the original Lloyd did. It was plainly despicable, and there was no use justifying his actions. 

But...imagining his parents feign love towards another child...to spoil that child as if they've known each other for years, and give them gifts that took a lot of time and effort- time and effort that should've been used for a job to support their actual family.

..and to imagine his father be happier with someone that wasn't family...

...

Honestly, he would resent his parents too. Maybe even misplace that anger and push it towards the orphaned child, who regardless of the status of the family, deserved a loving environment. 

Ah, but it's still such a weak-minded approach to life. It's quite obvious that the original Lloyd never faced any real consequences, and the only consequence he ever had was the sweet relief of death. Often times it's like he acknowledged how much of a douche he was, and yet, instead of reflecting, he annoyingly doubled down on it. 

That's how most bullies are. They're just miserable people who gave up on having a decent life. 

A true example of what pathetic is. 

...

Lloyd sighed and laid upon the bed. "..it's impressive that the sword held up this long."

"What?"

The master pointed at the wooden sword. "It's not rotting."

"..."

Perhaps he shouldn't have brought the wooden sword up? It's probably a touchy subject for Javier.

"Uh-" "I applied vinegar."

Lloyd's eyes brimmed with surprise to hear Javier respond. "..every month."

"Ah~ That's diligent of you, but..wouldn't tar last longer..?"

"..."

Lloyd gazed back up, wondering why he hasn't gotten a response, though Javier's lack of a response thereof, as well as that lonesome look, was all the response he needed to understand. "Ah..I see. You hate the smell of tar, don't you?"

"Huh..? Um, yes..? I do dislike the smell of tar..."

"Doesn't vinegar smell more intense though? Tar just smells like coal..."

"Exactly."

'Choosy,' Lloyd thought to himself. "..but now that we're working a lot, how're you gonna find time to reapply vinegar?"

"..."

Javier seemed a bit out of it to be answering this question. Was he really that attached to this sword? "..I don't know."

"Hm~ That gives me an idea, then."

He hadn't noticed, but Javier has quickly conjured a glare. "What, are you going to make me a new one or something? Something better?"

"No..? Well, not the sword. I'm gonna make you a better-smelling preservative. Vinegar sucks."

And as quickly as that glare was formed, it was immediately replaced by confusion. "Huh-? But- You..."

"But what? You have any objections?"

"..ah..y-yes..."

Javier seemed shocked for a good while, though the longer they stared at each other, the more he seemed less shock and instead look more accepting. Finally, the ivory-headed knight shifted his eyes down to hide a sentimental look. "..please, not strong preservatives..."

...

Lloyd broke into a smile. "Yeah, I know. You want a preservative that makes you apply every month, don't you? And you're scared that reapplying strong preservatives that often would do more harm than good?"

"I get it. You want to keep in touch with this sword at least every month, so you choose a weak preservative to give yourself a reason to do so." 

He got up from bed and sat on the side just to see face-to-face with the other. "But our schedule's getting cramped, so you'll have less and less time to reapply the preservatives."

...

"..you're probably thinking; 'What?! He's not so bad-!" "So, about our schedule."

Lloyd huffed to be cut off. "..I'm alright with reapplying every 2 months."

"Just 2 months? You could be working for me for 2 months..."

"Take it or leave it."

Instead of a huff, Lloyd had glared at the other this time. "2 months huh? We'd need something stronger than vinegar then...hm, maybe Linseed oil?"

"What's-" "No, no. Too strong. How about Tung oil?"

"My lord-" "Nah, too hard to get. Say, would essential oils work..?"

Javier stayed quiet. Lloyd stayed quiet.

"I-" "Lavender would probably suit you~"

Lloyd smirked to look even more like a prick. "Can you please stop interrupting me?"

"..."

"..and yes, I'd like lavender..."

"Heh," Lloyd finally stood up from the bed and walked towards the exit. "I'll order some lavender seeds then."

"..seeds..?"

"Hm? The Baron likes gardening, doesn't he..?"

Javier visibly paused. "Oh- Wait a minute..you wanna plant too, don't you? You did enjoy farming those pest-repellant plants~"

"Just plant the seeds with the Baron if you want some plant action too. All I need are the flowers to make your wood preservative anyway." 

Lloyd turned back around and waved his hand from behind. "Well, see ya'."

...

[Your approval rating by Javier increased by 8 points.]
[You have received bonus 240 RP for improving your relationship with a key character.]
[Your approval rating: +1.]