Causative

"HAVE" or "GET" + OBJ. + PAST PART.

"I HAD/GET my bedroom painted."

1) You don't carry out an action because sme does sth for you.

2) Can also be used to talk about, usually bad, things that happen to us; things being stolen, broken, etc. We usually don't use "GET" with this meaning.

The causative & the passive

1) We use "BY" to show who or what does the action: "We HAD our house painted BY a local company."

2) We can use "WITH" to describe tools and equipment: "I've HAD my coat cleaned WITH a special chemical."

3) We often don't use "BY" if the subject is obvious: "Rob HAD his gym bag stolen."

4) We often don't use "BY" if it's not important who does it: "The producers of the film HAD a new language invented."

Direct and indirect objects

"The teacher gave us a text to read" = "A text to read was given to us BY the teacher" = "We were given a text to read."

Verbs with take two objects: "Bring", "buy", "call", "cook", "cost", "get", "give", "leave", "lend", "make", "offer", "owe", "pass", "pay", "play", "promise", "read", "refuse", "send", "show", "sing", "take", "teach", "tell", "wish" and "write".

THE CAUSATIVE

We use the structure "HAVE" or "GET" (in any tense) + OBJ. + PAST PART. to talk about sth we can not do ourselves or that we have arranged for a professional to do for us.

1) "I'm building the garage myself" = "I'M HAVING a garage built at the moment"

2) "They repaired their car" (they did it themselves) = "They HAD their car repaired" (they arranged for sme to repair it)

3) "I cut my hair yesterday"(I cut it myself) = "I HAD my hair cut yesterday" (I went to a hairdresser)

4) "Are you going to HAVE these shoes repaired or shall I throw them away?" 

5) "Where do you HAVE your hair done? It always looks very nice!"