'PREFER TO', 'PREFER ... RATHER THAN' & 'PREFER ... MORE THAN'

Which should you use, 'PREFER''PREFER ... RATHER THAN''PREFER ... THAN''PREFER ... MORE THAN' or 'PREFER ... INSTEAD OF'

The verb 'PREFER means to like or want someone or something more than someone or something else. 'PREFERgenerally takes the preposition 'TO'

'PREFER ... THAN', 'PREFER ... MORE THAN' and 'PREFER ... INSTEAD OF' are incorrect.

"I 'PREFER' coffee 'RATHER THAN' tea." / "I 'PREFER' coffee 'TO' tea."

"People 'PREFER' watching TV 'INSTEAD OF' reading." / "People 'PREFER' watching tv 'TO' reading."

"I 'PREFER' jogging 'THAN' cycling." / "I 'PREFER' jogging 'TO' cycling."

"I 'PREFER' dancing 'MORE THAN' singing." / "I 'PREFER' dancing 'TO' singing".

While 'PREFER' is followed by 'TO' in most cases, there is an exception. When 'PREFERis followed by a 'TO' + vb (infinitive)'RATHER THAN' is used.

"They 'PREFER TO' leave 'RATHER THAN' pay."

"The city prosecutor 'PREFERRED TO' to step down 'RATHER THAN' do his job."

It is, however, better to change 'PREFER' + 'TO' + vb (infinitive) to 'WOULD RATHER+ vb (infinitive).

"They 'WOULD RATHER' leave than pay."

"The city Prosecutor 'WOULD RATHER' step down than do his job."

Alternatively, use a gerund after 'PREFERand 'TO'.

"They 'PREFER' leaving 'TO' paying."

"The city prosecutor 'PREFERRED' stepping down 'TO' doing his job."

Do not use 'PREFER... INSTEAD OF''PREFER ... MORE THAN' or 'PREFER ... THANwhen a 'TO' + vb (infinitive) follows 'PREFER'.

"He 'PREFERRED TO' stay 'INSTEAD OF' leaving immediately." / "He 'PREFERRED TO' stay 'RATHER THAN' leave immediately."