Weary Of Waiting

What to do if you feel tired and weary from waiting on God's promises?

Pslam 119:81-88
NIV
כ Kaph

81 My soul faints with longing for your salvation,
    but I have put my hope in your word.
82 My eyes fail, looking for your promise;
    I say, “When will you comfort me?”
83 Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke,
    I do not forget your decrees.
84 How long must your servant wait?
    When will you punish my persecutors?
85 The arrogant dig pits to trap me,
    contrary to your law.
86 All your commands are trustworthy;
    help me, for I am being persecuted without cause.
87 They almost wiped me from the earth,
b

ut I have not forsaken your precepts.
88 In your unfailing love preserve my life,
that I may obey the statutes of your mouth.

The psalmist longs for God's word. The psalmist asked God how long. The psalmist came with his weariness, and tiredness despite wanting an immediate change.

Meaning that he felt it was taking time. He wanted the pain to go. He wanted the situation to be over. He wanted the trial to finish.

But I want us to learn something about his reaction during this trial. There are 3 key points.

1) He comes with his weariness and tirednes. He was vulnerable and honest.

The psalmist wasn't afraid to ask God how long. He expressed his pain, tiredness and anguish. He explained his situation. There is a difference between accusing and insulting God versus going to God with your burdens.

The psalmist wasn't complaining. He was presenting his problem to God and surrendering his feelings, trusting God would make a difference.

2) He was ready to seek a receive

The psalmist wanted God's comfort and revival. The psalmist asked God what He needed. He needed a revived spirit to have renewed strength to keep on believing.

This reminded me of our tough times. We go before God asking for strength. We ask God for grace. We ask God to help us believe. We ask God to help us not give up. We ask God for strength so we don't grow weary. We ask God for leave so we aren't anxious. The psalmist came to God with an expectation that he wouldn't return the same way he came.

4) He worshiped

God's word is faithful and trustworthy. He knew who his God was. He didn't go to God as if God would ignore Him. He knew God was real and he trusted in God's word. It's groaning at the pain but believing always. The psalmist showed worship but stayed faithful to God no matter the many questions.

We might have questions too.

You wonder why? You wonder how long? You're anxious, upset and weary.

But you remain faithful. You still go to church. You still pray. You cry but you still serve God.

The psalmist didn't throw away his bible because God was taking too long. Not did he say how his soul faints and how he hopes in God's word. He remains hoping. Verse 87 shows us that though the psalmist was in the midst of life and death he never abandoned God.

I've been there too sis. I know the cruciating pain. I know how much it hurts to continue. How much you desire to give up. I know, I've been there too but I'll encourage you to know that in the end, God is always worth it.

He remembers you. He loves you.

This last point is key. No matter how tired you are. Never give up on God.

-etty