༻18༺

JIHYUN POV

JIHYUN POV

Hugging Maggie made me feel like everything was going to be okay again.

"How's Hershel?" I ask, swaying her side to side.

"He's good. Holding down the fort back home."

"I told you he was the real boss here," I joke.

We separate and Maggie puts a hand on my cheek. "You look happy."

My brain screams Brooklyn's name.

"Happy to see the family," I assure.

Maggie gives me a knowing look and her hand drops to my shoulder. "It's me, Ji. Talk to me."

I put my back against the shed wall and look to where Lydia, Elijah, Jerry, and Aaron were saying their goodbyes to the others.

"Are you staying here? Ezekiel is," Maggie speaks up.

"No. No, God no. I can't wait to get out of this place."

"Then, what's kept you here for the past seven months?"

I go quiet. My mind shows pictures of Brooklyn. I bow my head in shame.

"Jihyun," Maggie calls.

"If I'm here.. the person I.. That I care for.. stays safe."

"Women are a lot stronger than you think, Ji."

Maggie always figures me out so easily.

"She's never even seen a walker, Maggie."

"And my dad kept walkers in our barn because he thought they were just 'sick'. People can change and adapt. Get stronger."

Maggie steps closer and rests both hands on my arms. 

"And if this is about Bethy.. She'd understand."

The name breaks my heart all over again.

"We don't get a lot of opportunities to be happy. Since I've been your leader, all I want is for my people to have the chance to make choices for themselves."

"Your family.. Hyung.. You're the ones that made me who I am. I'm not throwing that away for a girl, Maggie," I assure.

"You're not throwing anything away. You're sure as hell not turning on me."

I promised hyung, though.. I sigh.

"When the soldiers came to Hilltop, Diane and some others left. Lydia was about to leave, too. I never once blamed them for wanting to better their lives. And I'm not gonna do that to you, either."

"If I get too close.. it'll bring more pain."

"But, you'll have years and years of memories of good moments to get you through those hard times," she argues.