༻26༺

BROOKLYN POV

BROOKLYN POV

It was a cruel game of hide and seek.

Jihyun wasn't with Daryl and Carol.

Instead, they told me that he stayed back to look for me.

I had hope once again when Rosita and Gabriel found us. But, still no sign of him.

I felt like a sore thumb sticking out. These people had known each other for years. They knew my family. Yet, I didn't know them. I felt out of place.

"Brooklyn, you're with me and Maggie," Carol urges.

"What?" I ask.

I wasn't even listening.

"We're going through the sewers."

I accept it with a shrug. Commonwealth had taken over Alexandria and turned it into a slave camp. Just as I'd assumed. Maybe I wasn't useless, after all.

We searched the outside from a distance. A lot of their people were in there. But, still no Jihyun. No Max. No Eugene. 

I follow behind Carol and Maggie with a slow trudge. We make it into the dark sewers. I was barely phased. All of this world felt like a giant sewer, how was this any different?

"Keep up," Carol orders.

I clear my throat and fasten my pace. I put on a strong face. An act. 

"Thinking about him?" Maggie asks.

"What?" I question.

"Jihyun. Are you thinking about him?"

"I don't think I've stopped thinking about him for the past year or so," I admit.

"They sneak up on you," Carol speaks up. "Men.. their stupid, lovable faces. Their sweet words and dumb smiled."

Maggie and I both laugh.

"And clueless," Maggie adds. "Can't live without that one."

They trade a knowing look and Carol pats Maggie's arm. "You made him think even less."

"That's good to know," Maggie scoffs.

I awkwardly fall back a bit more. I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't one of them. Not that I didn't want to be. I wanted nothing more than to bond with these insanely badass women. They were inspiring. But, I was just a friend of a friend. Nothing more, unfortunately.

Carol stops walking. I almost didn't notice until she rests her arm around my shoulders lightly. I jump in alarm and look at the woman with wide eyes.

"Jihyun has been there for me since.. gosh, nearly the beginning. I was used to seeing him put his best foot forward and take one for us. But, lately, I've seen a light in his eyes. Little quirks I hadn't seen him do before."

Maggie smiles as well, looking back to us. "He was already a good man. But, he's becoming even better. I can see that for you, too."

"We don't know each other," I remind softly.

"You chose to stick with us. We chose to keep you around," she shrugs it off. "We're family now."

"Just like that?"

"That's how it works with us," Carol assures. "You're one of us now. We'll do anything to protect our own."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

I'd always heard my own mother talking about 'mother's intuition'. It was heartwarming to see that side come out of Maggie.

She swore that she heard Hershel, her son. Then, she lead us right to where he was. Maggie kicked the door open and Carol shot the man that was there. I think about the other kids calling Jihyun 'uncle'.

"Judith? RJ? Gracie?" I question. "Did you see them?"

"They went to the basement. That man brought me here to make me be quiet."

I pat Carol's arm and dash down the hallway. I bump into Rosita- both of us drawing a gun until we see who each other are.

"Coco?" she asks.

"Hershel said the other kids were down in the basement," I answer.

Rosita spins on her heels and we run downstairs. We mimic Maggie and Carol's movements as I kick the door open. It was locked beforehand.

"Tia Rosita! Brooklyn!" Judith cheers.

Gracie stands up from her chair and runs over to us. I was surprised when she ran into my arms for a hug.

"Are you guys okay?" I ask, looking around at all the kids as Rosita searches the room.

"We're fine. How did you find us?" Judith asks, stepping forward.

"Coco!" Rosita cries, turning to Judith. "Jude, where's Coco?"

"She didn't come with us.. I haven't seen her," Judith answers with a frown.

I help RJ up the stairs as Rosita runs back up and toward Hershel. RJ gives me a quick hug and I find myself smiling the smallest bit.

 RJ gives me a quick hug and I find myself smiling the smallest bit