⤏ 𝗛𝗲𝗻𝗿𝘆'𝘀 𝗣𝘂𝗿𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗲

Y/N GOT UP to use the bathroom. In one of the adjacent offices, he went there to do so. As he did, he heard the quiet crunching of glass where they slept. He stopped, wondering if he heard wrong. But then he heard it again along with some whispering.

He went out into the room and saw a black man aiming his handgun at Ellie, who was awake. Y/N crouched and silently went toward the unaware man.

Y/N had his empty pistol on him. Once he got close, he stood up and held the gun at the man's head. He froze.

"Get away from the girl." Y/N demanded.

"Hey, man..." The man began. "I'm just—"

Beside the sleeping Joel was a little boy with a revolver aimed at the smuggler. Y/N noticed him and for some reason, the facial features of the kid stood out to him...like he'd seen him before long ago.

Once the kid noticed Y/N and moved the gun toward him, he pressed the barrel closer to the man.

"Tell the boy to put down the gun."

He looked toward the kid and started moving his hands. Y/N was about to scold him for doing so but quickly realized he was using sign language.

The kid listened and lowered the gun. Ellie decided to call out to Joel.

"Joel! Joel!"

The older man shot awake and immediately noticed the two strangers. Y/N still had his gun at the back of the young man's head.

"I'll hear it my ass." Y/N said with a scoff, then looked at the man he was holding up. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

"Look, we didn't wanna hurt you." He replied. "We wanna help you."

"Funny way of showing it, stumbling upon us in the dead of night."

"Yeah, I see that now."

"Give me the gun." Y/N glanced at the handgun in his hand.

He slowly handed it to Y/N. Once it was in his grasp, Y/N could feel that it wasn't loaded. He assumed the kid's wasn't either.

"So you weren't planning on hurting us?" Y/N asked.

"I—I wasn't sure what to do. Thought it was just the girl and the old guy and I needed to make sure they were on our side."

"Your side?" Joel finally spoke.

"My name's Henry. That's my brother, Sam. I'm the most wanted man in Kansas City. But by my guess, you guys are running a close second."

"Those people out there are after you?" Ellie asked him.

He nodded. "And like I said, we need help and I wanted to make sure you were all right."

Y/N took in his explanation and even arched a brow at the mention of the man's name. It felt like something he should've remembered and it was digging at him.