⤏ 𝗗𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗱'𝘀 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗲𝗰𝘆

ELLIE PULLED UP Joel's shirt to check his sewn-up wound. It seemed to be healing but was still tender and red all over from infection.

There was barely any food left. Any piece she ate made her feel guilty about not having enough for Joel. With only one last piece of the food left, she placed it on Joel's chest.

 With only one last piece of the food left, she placed it on Joel's chest

On one side of the room, Y/N was sitting against a wall taking a nap. Ellie looked at him and moved her eyes to his splint. The last couple of days were hard for the young man because of the flare-up to his injury. He'd have gone outside and hunted for something but his ailment along with the weather picking up made it risky.

But that was a risk Ellie was going to take herself. It was that or else they'd starve and Joel would die anyways.

The teenager glanced at the rifle by their packs. She turned to Joel and whispered.

"I'm gonna be right back, okay?"

Ellie got up and went over to take the rifle. The rustling had awakened Y/N and he opened his eyes to see her packing up.

"Where are you going?" He asked her.

"We have no food." She replied. "I'm going to try and get something."

"By yourself?" Y/N grunted as he tried sitting up. "Wait a minute—"

"Just stay here."

"Let me do it."

"Your foot is as big as a fucking watermelon." She shot back. "You have to let the swelling go down before you start hobbling in the snow."

Although Y/N was appreciative of her worry about his health, he was still adamant about going with her.

"I don't give a shit about the swelling." Y/N got up but stumbled a bit.

"And you'd just slow me down." Ellie added and started making her way toward the stairs. "I'll be back in no time. I remember what you showed me about tracking."

"Just hold on—"

"Blah, blah, can't hear you. I'm leaving."

The girl went upstairs. Y/N could hear the door open and then close. He kept calling out.

"Wait! El—Ellie! Shit."

His shouts made Joel stir in his sleep. Y/N heard his mumbling and looked over at his father.

"Dad?" Y/N carefully knelt beside him.

His hand was shaking. Joel's eyes were still shut as he tried to speak.

"M-M-M...Mijo?"

Y/N grabbed his trembling hand and held it. Seeing Joel in his current state for the last few days had been hard and with each passing moment, the young man feared that he'd die right in front of him.