Chapter

While waiting behind the arena for Shimmer I reflected on my explanation to the hunters about what was going on. The explanation was pretty straight forward but their questions were impossible to answer. They all pertained to the mysterious dome. I had no answers because I knew nothing more than they did. Their answers would have to wait for Shimmer. I'm sure all of the sector leaders have given similar accounts of what was discovered in the forest. I'm sure they were fending similar questions about the dome and I'm sure they also had no answers.

Just as we were all getting restless waiting for Shimmer to arrive, she rounded the back of the arena and headed our way with a sizeable book in her hand. She addressed Einstein and I "Are all members of your sector's present?" We both nodded and replied "yes". "Good, then let's get started."

Addressing all hunters and creators she lifted her head and spoke loudly. "Everyone gather around. Hunters stand to my left" she pointed to her left. "Creators stand to my right" she pointed to her right. Everyone moved quickly to oblige. "Hunters, I realize you have no idea what the dome I speak of is. However, all creators at one time or another have been exposed to stories about the dome. Some in bedtime stories, others in poems or songs. Not ever being sure if it existed or how it really worked." She paused for a moment while the creators looked at each other probably remembering a dome story and the hunters stared at the creators, perplexed. "Yes, it exists and over the next couple of days your sectors will be responsible for its resurrection."

"When our colony was created out of the mass destruction centuries ago our forefathers had no idea who or what had survived with us. They felt it was necessary to take every precaution to ensure our survival. This fear of the unknown prompted the creation of the dome. For decades we lived under the dome, but as time passed, we became sure we were the only survivors, or any other survivors were living well outside our boundaries and were no threat to us. It was decided that the limitations on our freedoms the dome inflicted no longer were an acceptable trade. It was decided that we no longer needed its protection. Our leader at the time had it dismantled and stored for future needs." Shimmer paused to allow us to comprehend what she had said. "I believe it is time to remove the dome from storage and again live within its walls."

At this point I was surprised this dome existed but quite curious how you would store a dome large enough to protect all of Community. If it is that large, how do we even transport it? My curiosity got the best of me, and I blurted out what I was thinking. "Shimmer how are we going to move such a large dome?" Shimmer smiled. Clearly amused at my ignorance. She took a moment to compose herself and then replied, "the dome when operational will protect Community, but it is not a huge physical dome like you are picturing."

"Our colony lives a simple life without accessing most of the technology our ancestors created and utilized in their daily lives. It was decided long ago that returning to a simpler life would give our people a better chance at not repeating the mistakes that helped to cause the destruction we survived. We are capable of many things that would surprise, even shock you." Hunters and creators alike were fidgeting and restless. We were having trouble absorbing all of this new information in a rational way. "Try not to ponder this new information too hard. It will all make sense soon enough. Each hunter choose a creator to partner with. Aurora and Einstein you are partners." After about fifteen minutes everyone had a partner.

Once again, I feel like a small puzzle piece that has no idea where it fits. Is Shimmer saying we have been raised-up in a lie? We have many resources that only she knows about. Why? Why aren't we able to access what our ancestors had? Their way of life. I have so many questions, but I said nothing. One embarrassment today is enough. I try to put the thoughts out of my head so I can focus on the task at hand, the dome assembly. I am somewhat successful, but all of the questions are still there. Right under the surface.