Chapter

Everything was going really well. People were eating, talking, and enjoying the different sectors displays and activities. I personally enjoyed racing the pigs and the target practice that was set up by the hunters. It had been some time since I held a bow in my hand and it felt nice. Of course, the food was amazing at the feast. My favorite was the chocolate cake I think. Oh, how I love sweets. We do not partake in many sweets outside of special occasions. It tasted especially good tonight because there had not been any celebrations since the work began on the dome.

I was sitting on a bench at the base of a tree not too far from the lake. When the sky overhead lit up so brightly it was impossible to notice anything else. It made the glow of the dome look like a series of glow sticks in comparison to an L.E.D. flashlight that projects 990,000 lumens. My first thought was what the heck is that. Then it dawned on me. Apollo was here. Of course, a god would make an entrance so spectacular that no one could look at anything else. I quickly announced, "Everyone over here with Shimmer and I, NOW!" Everyone moved rapidly.

Emerging overhead from the blinding gold light first were four magnificent gold-colored horses whose manes appear to literally be made of fire. Then comes his beautiful golden chariot. Last at the rear of the chariot you see the god Apollo. Even from this distance I can tell he has the build of a young athlete.

As his chariot lands everyone still has their eyes on Apollo. He gracefully exits his chariot and walks across the lake on top of the water. His destination is the area where our two makeshift thrones sit. From here I can see further details. Apollo is dressed in a knee length chiton that hangs from both shoulders with a knee length cloak attached at his shoulders. He is cleanly shaven and has a crown on his head made of what appears to be branches and leaves. He is wearing tall black boots that stop just under his knees. His boots lace up the front. In fact, his boots look almost identical to my hunting boots. Sitting on his shoulder is a black and white raven. This strikes me as odd because I only know of black ravens existing.

As soon as he steps up to where the thrones are Shaneel steps away from her altar that is close by to stand next to Apollo. In fact, she is so close to the god she appears to have a gold aura around her. Wait, on closer inspection it appears she actually glows with her own gold aura when she is close to Apollo.

Apollo looks directly at her and smiles then he turns and addresses the rest of us in a booming voice that I am sure can be heard for miles. "I am the god Apollo. Your god of the sun, archery, medicine, and healing just to name a few of my attributes. Of course, you probably already knew that since you appear to be a smart colony of demigods. I mean you were smart enough to throw a festival in my honor." I look at Shimmer as Shimmer looks at me. Then we look at everyone else. Everyone else seems to be trying to absorb the information as we are, but with clear difficulty. Since Shimmer and I already knew the gods existed and already knew they were coming the only trouble I am having is being referred to as a demigod. This information is completely new and unexpected. I cannot imagine being everyone else. It is clear our subtle preparations were not nearly enough to help balance Apollo's shock-and-awe entrance.

Shaneel turns to Apollo and addresses him "Oh mighty god Apollo". Apollo turns to face her directly "Yes my child". "We are demigods?" "Well of course, you didn't think I went out of my way to come see all of you because you were 'just' humans, did you? I mean humans are good for worshiping me and leaving me offerings, but not so important that I would alter my important objectives to visit them. Why would I actually visit humans? That's why I have you, my oracle. If I choose to participate in such a mundane task as talking to a human I do it through you. That way I can continue on my path and just send you a message to deliver to the humans. It's a win/win scenario. You get the pleasure of interacting with me and I get the convenience of sending whatever messages I wish to relay to humans without actually having to listen to their emotional breakdowns at every turn. I mean really, everything is a personal catastrophe to humans. So much so that when the end was actually coming and real threats were emerging they ignored the warning signs if they did not affect them personally. Ignored our messages that were sent to them. They almost waited too long to even join forces to survive the extinction of their entire species. All because they do not work together. They only address things that affect them personally. Gods have their faults but we are not oblivious to the effects that trickle down when one of us is negatively or positively affected by an event.