Chapter

"The harpy eagles are here" I can hear being shouted from the lake area. "Open the dome" I hear Shimmer say as I head towards the lake. Sure enough, as I arrive at the lake the Eagles can be seen flying through the opening in the dome that is directly over the lake. They are quite large but they are very unique and beautiful creatures especially when they fly.

As the harpy eagles and their riders get closer I can see them more clearly. Each Eagle has a rider and a saddle. The riders appear to be nymphs. In fact, I believe they are part of Artemis's hunting party. They are dressed the same as the nymphs who accompanied Artemis to the festival. Unlike the nymphs who live in and around Community these nymphs appear dressed for a hunt or maybe war.

The closest pair to me is a nymph dressed in attire made completely from the forest itself and a beautiful black, white, grey, and yellow harpy eagle. The nymph personifies the forest itself. Her skin is tan. Her loose fitting, flowing, barely there dress is varying colors of green. Her brown sandals have open toes and lace up her leg to her knee. On her head is a crown made from small branches, sticks, and sporadically placed leaves. She has a bow slung across her back along with a quiver of arrows. I believe she is a dryad. The harpy has a grey head, white underbelly and legs, black and white wings, and yellow feet with black talons. Typical coloring for a harpy eagle I have learned. What is out of place is the saddle. The harpy has a saddle that almost blends into its feathers and their colors. If you do not look closely it will appear the nymph is riding the eagle bareback, no saddle at all.

Once all of the harpy eagles have landed the riders all dismount and walk over to Shimmer and I. Their eagles stay where they landed. Forming a line of sorts. I lean over and ask Shimmer which harpy is hers. She grins slightly at me and says none of these. "These eagles will be paired with eight residents of Community shortly. My Ambrosia will not let anyone else ride her so in order to keep my secret I will retrieve her from beyond the dome in private. I fear if a lone eagle flies in here with no saddle and no rider she would scare everyone to death. Then when she flies straight to me and clearly knows me my cover would be blown. Her saddle has been delivered to my barracks by my parents and she will arrive outside the dome in a few hours. I will deliver her to the handlers and figure out something to tell them." I nod in reply.

Shimmer addresses the residents of Community "Attention everyone. Gather around Please. I have an announcement. As you can see our harpy eagles have arrived. Each of the harpies came to us with a mate. For those of you without much knowledge of harpy eagles they tend to mate for life. That is the case with our eagles. In order to not break up the mated pair each harpy will be paired with its mate. Then the harpies will choose their riders." This revelation caused an audible gasp of surprise from several in attendance. "A harpy chooses its rider the same way it chooses its mate. We cannot choose its rider for them. The harpy will not respond well to us if we force a relationship or form the required bond that makes this paring strong. Some might say unbreakable."

"Spread the word that after dinner before the sun sets we will meet here at the lake to discuss who are the first residents to be paired with the harpies. All of you return to your normal activities. I will see you this evening. Remember, meeting here after dinner is mandatory for everyone." Everyone disperses and leaves only Shimmer, myself, the nymphs, and the harpy eagles around the lake.

"Okay Aurora, I would like you to walk over to the harpies and begin walking past each of their heads. They are lined up facing you to make this easier. If a harpy wishes you to be its rider you will know it." I look at Shimmer a bit puzzled. "How will I know it?" I asked her. "Every harpy is different but believe me you will know. "Uh, ok" I say while slightly raising and lowering my shoulders. The look on my face must have said it all because Shimmer put her left hand on my right shoulder and leaned in toward my ear while saying "It's fine Aurora. They will not eat you I promise." I looked towards her to see a devilish smirk on her face which honestly did not ease my concern one bit.