Chapter

Several hours have passed and everyone is regrouping at the lake for the second part of our festivities. As I approach, Shimmer can be heard addressing the crowd. "Everyone needs to gather into groups. Your groups should consist of your fellow sector members so hunters with hunters, cooks with cooks, etcetera. You need to discuss within your group what things you learned today about Greek mythology. Then you need to determine which of those learning points need to be included in tonight's festivities. You have an hour to come up with a consensus within your group. Your sector leader will be expected to present the idea to the other members of Community. You may begin forming your groups and discussing amongst yourselves." Shimmer stepped away from her position in front of the lake and walked over to where Shaneel and I were standing. We all took a seat on the chairs that had been placed there for this evenings gathering. Shimmer said one thing "I hope this works" and Shaneel and I nodded staying silent.

After several minutes I suggested we mingle with the groups to try and get a feel for what they are talking about. "I think we need to be prepared for some members to not be taking this seriously enough. If we are not successful at redirecting the possible stragglers, tonight will not play out the way we have planned. We have enough unknown variables with the gods. We cannot afford more unknowns. We need to interject into the groups that are either noncompliant or just have not had time to prepare like maybe the cooks. The cooks had a full plate today preparing meals and trying to read the books they were brought." Shimmer and Shaneel agree and we all rise and head in different directions to try and see who is working and who is slacking.

The first sector I come to are the hunters. They are sitting in a circle and rather lack lustily talking about tonight. However, they are not talking about the Greek gods or Greek society. They are talking about why we would possibly be having a party when our world is upside down. I feared this response. The hunters' lives had been the most disturbed. Their 'new normal' took away everything from them. Their routines were changed, their duties were changed, they probably feel like their worth has changed. Not being able to hunt had been affecting me deeply before all of my new responsibilities had been laid out before me so I understand the feelings. All of this plus Peter. Peter I knew was not a fan of worrying about or reliving the past. He did not care what happened before. He only cared about the here and now. He was a strong leader but also an influential one. Where he led the hunters would follow. If he did not take this seriously enough for some Greek knowledge to be bestowed on the hunters, tonight would fail. Without the backing of all of the sectors there would be no way to truly move forward. We needed to move forward. Our past lives were gone and our future may very well be the acceptance that the Greek gods were real. We need everyone to agree to follow them tonight. Without everyone's participation and belief in the gods our new future could be infighting and Community could be lost. We cannot make the decision to accept the Greek gods a problem for tomorrow. I have no idea what Apollo has in mind or if any of the other gods will be involved with the festival. At this point I guess I am already choosing to inadvertently trust the gods with our future.

I join the outer edge of their circle and take a seat. Everyone looks at me but only Peter speaks to me. "Hey, what's up Aurora." "Nothing much Peter just walking around to see how everyone's discussions are going." Peter shakes his head. "The only discussion we have been having is why we are doing this." Peter replies. It is time for me to act like a leader and not Peters friend. I do not relish this but I knew the time would come eventually with my promotion. "Peter, all of you, that was not the assignment. You have been tasked with picking a portion of tonight's activities and I expect each of you to take that seriously. It is not your job to determine if the task is worth your time. Shimmer has said do it, so you do it unless you wish to challenge Shimmer's authority to say so." Peter's eyes widen, he was clearly not expecting me to address his group in this way. He responds after a few moments "Of course I am not challenging Shimmer. I just don't...." He cuts himself off. When he regains his composure he continues "Ok, so who here did the reading. Everyone including him chimes in with 'I did'. "Ok good. So, any ideas?" No one speaks up so I interject "Well let me pose a question. Which God would represent the hunters?" Everyone turns their attention to the books on Greek mythology they brought with them. After several minutes of flipping pages and reading excerpts from the books they are holding some individuals begin to speak up. Mixed answers begin to be shared out loud. Some are saying Artemis and some are saying Apollo.