Chapter

Breakfast is over and to my surprise I can't wait to get to work on the dome. After spending so much time deciphering the instructions and matching up parts I have a strong desire to see the dome functional. Part because it will protect us from the unknown and part because I am curious about how it works. What will the dome look like when it's operational?

As I walk from the pavilion to the lake, I can see that the changes in our lives have already begun. There are weapons masters patrolling. In my entire life I have never seen an organized patrol in or around my colony. Weapons masters spent their days preparing for a day when we would need them to protect us. Now it seems that day is here. No matter how much I hope the outsiders will become allies they didn't feel like the friendly type. Spying on me. Running away when they were noticed. No! They definitely did not seem like they were looking to make allies, and the giant birds, I have no idea what to make of them. Even though I have no desire for an enemy deep down I know that Shimmer made the right choice. We have to fortify our defenses. We have to be prepared for whatever comes next.

At the lake everyone is standing around multiple piles of parts. I scan the crowd and realize that Einstein has not arrived yet. I address the group. "Good morning. I hope everyone is well. We will get started as soon as Einstein arrives." I have a seat by the lake to wait for Einstein. I have no choice because he has the book.

Einstein arrived with a spring in his step and the book in his hand. He looked like the cat that swallowed the canary with his grin from ear to ear. "My aren't you chipper this morning partner." "Why yes I am" he replied. "So, what's got you so high spirited?" "I've figured it out. I know how the dome works. It's not nearly as complicated as it looks. I went back to my barracks last night and read through the assembly and operation instructions. To my surprise I understood them." "That's good because I'm clueless" I said through a chuckle. "I spoke with Shimmer this morning. Sorry for being late by the way. To let her know that I have figured out how the dome works. Before I could go into detail she just said, 'I knew you would'. She went on to say that even though our colony wasn't using the technology that creators have been being trained for its reintroduction all along. She said something about it being creators who developed the technology, and we were the only sector that has really ever understood it. I guess it's a 'geek' thing." With that I couldn't help but laugh a little. "I understand now what some of the training modules were that never seemed to be important. Learn this poem, sing this song, memorize this story. It was all training. Our subconscious holds the key."

I just looked at him, my mouth hanging open a little. "So why are hunters helping you? We weren't secretly trained, and we clearly don't get it." Einstein was excited but I wasn't. In fact, I was feeling kind of dumb right now. No matter what he understood I was still as lost as ever. "I don't know. I didn't ask her. I was actually caught up in my own 'connecting the dots' session to be honest." He just looked at me shrugging his shoulders and tilting his head slightly right. "I guess that's a question you will have to ask Shimmer if you want the answer."

Einstein took a couple steps back from me and turned to the others. He told each team to stand by a different numbered set of parts. "When your number is called you will proceed according to your instructions. Until then wait patiently by your parts." So here I am, Einstein and I looking at several two person teams standing next to numbered piles of parts. It looked to me like an assembly line with piles of parts and the confused assemblers that claimed them.

I looked at the instructions one more time. I'm trying to see what Einstein does but still no luck so I will follow his lead. Maybe that's what bugs me the most about the situation. I am not the leader. I have to follow someone else. I don't know, maybe.

Einstein and I discussed briefly how to proceed. We decided it was best if I oversaw things here at the lake and he helped with the assembly of parts around Community. It was nice of him, I guess to act like there was really an option. He understood how the thing worked and I didn't. Of course, he would go to help. How could I help answer questions?