Chapter Forty Six

Archie, Archie, Archie. 

        A name that was constantly replaying in your mind, like a distant symphony. It trills through the brain, creating an unavoidable grasp at your attention. Repetition of the name made it feel hollow, lose meaning. The syllables of the word began to seem foreign, alienated by your senses. The boy that the name once belonged to did not seem to live on the same plane of existence, the more his name flowed into your thoughts like burning hot volcanic eruptions. His blonde hair seemed to reach your eyes on every street corner, his own eyes flickering in the faces of passersby. It was as though you were being haunted, tormented by a memory of something you barely recognized, despite meeting it every time you slept. 

        Archie, Archie, Archie. 

        The tone of the words had grown more insulting as the days passed, more scolding. They were not scolding your brother, who had disappeared into the oasis of the Earth. Instead, they scolded you, forcibly and violently. You had left him and yet, you were the one that was unable to release the agonizing yearning for him. A hypocrite, that is what the repeating of his name had labelled you. You had been the one to leave, possibly making Archie so fueled with rage that he wanted to destroy the world

        It was your fault. Yours. 

        The responsibility of an older sibling was something you were supposed to hold in your hand. You had a destiny to grow old, before you had the chance to be young. That was your purpose. Who were you to deny destiny? Who were you to set aside the notion of family, for something as pathetic as a fleeting dream? 

        You wanted to run, before the incident. You wanted to run. 

       "Hey," A voice interrupted the pestering thoughts, acting as a saving grace from your agony. "What's going on? What's wrong?" 

        Your eyes flickered up to Leon's golden irises, shining at you like a spotlight. He didn't label you a hypocrite, but you couldn't stop the feeling of being judged from lurching inside your stomach. It was a cold, cruel monster. It coiled around your heart and squeezed, almost making you feel sick. Nausea was commonplace when the monster seemed present. But, lately, it always was. 

        "It's nothing," you answered for the fiftieth time that day. 

         The towel draped across your shoulders felt coarse, as your fingertips picked at the fray strings. Anxiety. Your breath seemed to finally slow, making you realize just how fast it had been during another spout of getting lost in thought. Anxiety.  

        "Are you sure?" Leon asked desperately, hoping to get an answer. He had caught you getting lost in thought too many times, now. So had all the other workers in The Battle Tower. They were getting worried. This had persisted for days. "If you need a break, I can clear my schedule." 

        "I don't need a break, Leon." 

        Your answer was defensive, desperate for silence on the matter. Besides, work had ended for the day. There was no break to be had. And Leon? Well, he reminded you of the failed attempt your subconscious had taken to use Leon as a replacement for your brother, something Archie had talked about with you in your dreams, a few nights ago. 

        Leon did not seem pleased with the response, however. Quite honestly, he looked awkward about the situation. It was clear that you had not been listening during the conversation he kept attempting to have with you and you were getting agitated, snappy, aggressive. He was only worrying for you, you knew that. And, that thought was what made the monster inside you release his coils, ever so lightly.